street performing/selling cds in los angeles?

lilfoolish50

• Members

I'm trying to come up with ways to promote my band, but one of the ideas I had, I'm not sure is legal.

I was thinking that during the school year, my band could set up camp outside local high schools around the time school gets out.  Just acoustic guitars, vocals, drummer playing a cajon, no amps or speakers.  We could set up a table and have ep's to sell.  Should be easy-peasy, kids get to hear us play acoustic stuff live as they get out of school, and hopefully we make a few bucks selling cd's. 

The thing I'm unsure on is wether this could be considered loitering or soliciting, or do we need a permit to do this?  I've been searching for stuff online and I can't find anything for los angeles.  It seems like it should be legal, as I did come across one site that said only certain areas require a permit (like 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica), leaving the implication that performing and selling cd's on the street in general Los Angeles is legal.  And another Q&A site for some legal counselor said street performing in LA is okay.  However, I am not 100% sure.

If anyone who knows better could explain the legality to me, and also send me a link to an official site that spells this out (if such a thing exists),  I would really appreciate it.  Thanks a bunch!

• 1 month later...

Archived