Tubes for an Egnater Tweaker 15...

colejustesen

• Members

So I snagged a Tweaker 15 Head the other day and really love how this guy sounds with my HSS guitars. While it sounds good with humbuckers, I love how it sounds clean with the single coils.

I picked this little guy up used and want to get some new power tubes for it. It still is running the stock Ruby 6V6GTSTR [black glass]. I have seen people that really favor the JJ 6V6 [as it is supposed to be more like a 6L6] and I have seen another camp that really favor the Tung-Sol RI 6V6 tubes. Right now, I am leaning more towards the Tung-Sol RI set, as people have described as more smooth. Since I got this to play mostly clean styles and some hint of grit, I think the Tung-Sol RI tubes are more what I want...

That being said, I would love to hear what you guys have used and what your results were. I have also read that people are using other types of tubes as well, including 6L6 and KT77 tubes... Would you guys mind sharing your experience with me?

I have already switched out my preamp tubes, so I am not concerned about them, but it would be nice to hear any input on what you have found for preamp tubes too...

Thanks wave.gif

Cole

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bumhucker View Post
I think it's just a matter of preference. The JJ 6v6 is considered by many to be more like a 6L6. Its a pretty rugged tube and will probwbly give you more headroom and punch.
I wouldn't say that I need more headroom, so it sounds like the Tung-Sol is still my top choice. Thanks for posting!

Cole

• Members

i spent weeks experimenting with all different types of preamp tube and power tubes in my 15 tweaker head and came to the conclusion the stock sovteks sounded the best imo. egnater, in my experience, puts good sounding tubes in their amps.

plus, those things have so many different sounds in them changing the tubes is unlikely to have any tonal difference that cant be accomplished by adjusting amps settings.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Picklebottom View Post
i spent weeks experimenting with all different types of preamp tube and power tubes in my 15 tweaker head and came to the conclusion the stock sovteks sounded the best imo. egnater, in my experience, puts good sounding tubes in their amps.

plus, those things have so many different sounds in them changing the tubes is unlikely to have any tonal difference that cant be accomplished by adjusting amps settings.
I really like Ruby tubes and have no qualms getting them. Though I have read that the stock tubes sound harsh in comparison to other 6V6 tubes. This is my first experience with 6V6 tubes, so I don't have any idea really what the sound characteristics of these style of tubes are. I can get the Ruby GTSTR tubes for a good price through Parts Express, but I wanted to hear other peoples' experiences before buying anything.

I really appreciate your input!

Cole

Archived