Bugera V55HD vs Bugera 6260

Syyle

• Members

I have a 6260 that I have had for close to 4 years now and it has been fine. I don't use it for anything but rehearsals with a side project that plays maybe twice a month, if that. That being said the clean is decent on it, but nothing amazing. I played a V55 at a show one night that was backlined with one, and it was really thin sounding. Maybe bad tubes, I don't know, but the 6260 sounds way better than that V55 did by far.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by shane159

View Post

I have a 6260 that I have had for close to 4 years now and it has been fine. I don't use it for anything but rehearsals with a side project that plays maybe twice a month, if that. That being said the clean is decent on it, but nothing amazing. I played a V55 at a show one night that was backlined with one, and it was really thin sounding. Maybe bad tubes, I don't know, but the 6260 sounds way better than that V55 did by far.

Cool. That's kind of what I was expecting to hear about the V55HD. Thanks.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Syyle View Post
Heh, I wouldn't expect anything different. I just need a low budget tube amp that is 2 channel. Maybe some other recommendations?
Used Marshall JVM. Not "budget" per say, but worth saving up for. Cleaner then other Marshalls.

^^^Dan, you must live in that thing.^^^

• Members

I'm only looking to spend around $400, so my options are a bit limited here...that JVM is a bit out of my pricerange, assuming I was looking at the ones you all were talking about.

Basically, my main amp crapped out on me a few days ago at practice (Peavey Valveking), and I need something to gig with for the next few months. The cost of repair on the Valveking was quoted to me at more than the amp is worth.

• Members

For $400 I would look for used:
Peavey XXX, Peavey Ultra or Traynor YCS50 for amps that can do modern metal easily. For more rock style I'd look for a used Peavey Classic 50 (head), a Carvin x100b, Laney AOR, Laney GH50, or a Jet City 50/100h.

• Members

Try a Marshall DSL15H. Wait a couple months and you'll likely find a couple on the used market. Jet City is another option. For $400 though you can have your pick of used Peavey amps like the XXX and 5150 and those would serve you well. They still sound good at lower volumes.

• Members

The V55HD is a good clean amp with plenty of headroom. Takes pedals very well. Real clear & punchy. The dirt channel only sounds decent if the master is cranked & you get it with power tube saturation. Very 70s tone. I put an old 50's RCA long black plate preamp tube in V1 & was blown away. Really livened it up. Liked it so much I ended up buying one & re-tubed it. Have had no problems & I crank the sh*t out of it.
The 6260 is based on the 5150. So it will be a high gain based amp.
These aren't the ones that went up in flames. That was years ago on the early 333. Cheap connector pins. That joke is really getting old ya know.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GREC View Post
The V55HD is a good clean amp with plenty of headroom. Takes pedals very well. Real clear & punchy. The dirt channel only sounds decent if the master is cranked & you get it with power tube saturation. Very 70s tone. I put an old 50's RCA long black plate preamp tube in V1 & was blown away. Really livened it up. Liked it so much I ended up buying one & re-tubed it. Have had no problems & I crank the sh*t out of it.
The 6260 is based on the 5150. So it will be a high gain based amp.
These aren't the ones that went up in flames. That was years ago on the early 333. Cheap connector pins. That joke is really getting old ya know.
Dude i have owned both, and the bugera6260 is nothing like a 5150, the cleans are slightly warmer and the gains is the worst i could have imagined.

258967_219931088038400_215012135196962_7

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by colejustesen View Post
Hell for $400 you could snag a Peavey Classic 50... These have great cleans and sound really good on the drive channel. They also take pedals very well! I have been keeping my eye out for a Classic 50 head for some time now.

Cole
Sorry dude, i posted, then seen you beat me by a mile.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
New Bugera comes with a warranty.

Used {insert amp of choice here} come with a "wish you luck"

If you're broke and need to buy something to just get by...what the {censored} are you gonna do if you buy used and it breaks down?

New bugera is gunna sound like {censored} anyway. after buying a few of them i fully regret doing so and would hook up with a second hand peavey anyday of the week

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by PDbyS View Post
For $400 I would look for used:
Peavey XXX, Peavey Ultra or Traynor YCS50 for amps that can do modern metal easily. For more rock style I'd look for a used Peavey Classic 50 (head), a Carvin x100b, Laney AOR, Laney GH50, or a Jet City 50/100h.
This. So much this. The Peaveys come highly recommended in particular. Having played the XXX, Ultra Plus and Ultra, any of those would be fantastic for high gain with a solid clean. And if you're looking for more rock territory the other heads listed would be more than sufficient.

Archived