Mesa DC-3, in comparison?

panther_king

• Members

Not to mention more simplistic in operation. I'd go for the DC-5 over the DC-3 but I have a love/hate relationship with EL-84 tube amps.

I was on the search for a DC-5 before a smoking deal on a Mark IV fell into my lap.

• Members

It's not that they sound like a Mark Series, but they are more along the lines of a Mark type amp versus a Rec. The tone stack is way different and the gain structure is quite different. When I think Mark I think Metallica when I think Caliber I think Corrosion of Conformity.

• Members

I love my DC-5. It actually is voiced more like a Recto. That's the lead sound. The real magic happens on ch1. The pull channel is more like a mk1. Get it. Check out my post on "when the levee breaks" to hear the dc5.

I just figured so much, because I could get one to sound good. With a Recto the low end was always looser than Paul Lynde, I blame myself not Mesa.

• Members

I've been tossing between the Nomad 45, DC-3, and F-30 (which I hear is birthed from the Dual Caliber series). I hear alot of hate for the nomads, but I don't have a particular thing 'against' and EL84 tubes. My main issue is keeping as much tone for a versatile hard rock amp, while keeping the weight and size down. I don't play out anymore, and my back is shot. I can find decent deals on either, but haven't had the fortune of playing any. I did own a .50 Caliber + about 4 years back that I traded for the current amp I own, but have to admit that I never really got in to the gain tone on it.

I'd assume, the DC-3 being of the same lineage, would also be similar in sound, and the F series in that respect.

• Members

I've been tossing between the Nomad 45, DC-3, and F-30 (which I hear is birthed from the Dual Caliber series). I hear alot of hate for the nomads, but I don't have a particular thing 'against' and EL84 tubes. My main issue is keeping as much tone for a versatile hard rock amp, while keeping the weight and size down. I don't play out anymore, and my back is shot. I can find decent deals on either, but haven't had the fortune of playing any. I did own a .50 Caliber + about 4 years back that I traded for the current amp I own, but have to admit that I never really got in to the gain tone on it.

I'd assume, the DC-3 being of the same lineage, would also be similar in sound, and the F series in that respect.

All these amps are relatives but different.

If you notice the preamp patent for the dc line is the same for the f-series but they are nothing alike.

First of all!

DC-3 30 watts by 4 power tubes (EL84) because it is class A.

F-30 30 watts by 2 EL84s because it is class AB1.

In general dc-3 tubier sounding, f-30 more solid state (in the good meaning of the word, tighter, more percussive more aggresive. Still cries the blues and does it much much better than the dc-3.)

Differences.

The dc-3 is a weird amp. The whole line is for me. The bass mid treble controls are at the end of the signal, much like a marshall, much like a rectifier. They do affect gain but not as in the mark series or the f-series. Why is there a graphic after I don't know, because the bass mid treble is already in the place where the graphic eq could help. I guess you can make it a solo boost or something. Or mimick the mark V scoop setting. An offset resemblance to the mark amps is that it has fixed values to tighten the amp a bit in the beggining of the preamp. Most amps do.

The f-30 is a different beast.

First of all it is a direct descendant on the preamp side of the studio .22+ and the .50 caliber. Modernized. It really gets gainy and it really gets smooth the more you turn it up. It is incredibly loud. I have done many unmiced gigs with the f-30, no problem and cuts through not obtrusively but with good mids sitting in the mix. Still, with a band I usually ended up getting limited headroom. The clean channel/small wattage meant it was essentially for my style a crunch/lead amp rather than a clean/lead.

Its preamp has the bass mid treble in the middle of distortion. It distorts, you regulate with gain and this regulation boosts the next stage. The power tubes and PI also distort a lot. It is closer to a mark style amp that way. But tragically more constistent sounding trough every gig. I really loved that amp.

If you are after 5150 type hard rock-metal tones none of this amps will do.

The f-30 is more like of a metallica load voicing (fat, chuncky, tight enough) and the dc-3, well maybe people that actually own it and push it may have a better oppinion. I don't especially like it but I wouldn't mind owning one.

• Members

^A+ post tech21man. Thanks alot for that, as it's just the kind of stuff I wanted to hear.

The f-30 is more like of a metallica load voicing (fat, chuncky, tight enough)

And if that's true, I think I'd be super happy with it; I think Load has some of the best rock tone ever recorded.

Do you know anything about how the DC and F series compare to the Nomad in the the pre-amp configuration?

• Members

If you find one don't be afraid to crank the mids, most of the treble and cut bass down to zero, it really works great for that kind of sound, and the simple gain channel can do a great ride the ligthning sound with just treble and gain dimed and a fat sounding guitar!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I own a DC-3 head (which is 35 watts). It's super loud despite it's low wattage setting. The amp sounds great imo. I used to own a Dual Rectifier solo head from 1994. I didn't like the Dual sound. It's not for everyone, but here's the pros and cons of the DC-3 as I see it:

Pros: Smooth sounding distortion.... it's easier to get a good sound out of at lower wattage... clean channel is very good for a Mesa, much better than the Recto clean... on overdrive it can do blues.... gain channel is great for rock, grunge, indie rock, jazz.... Amp is very "focused" sounding for a Mesa. Tight sound... The EQ is where the amp really shines.

Cons: Not enough gain to achieve Metallica metal tone, unless you use an overdrive boost....The EL-84 tubes naturally have a bright sound, and their bass is very limited. This amp does NOT have the bass response of the Mesa's with 6L6's or EL34's. If lots of bass is what you want, this is not your amp... some might find the amp too midrangy or bright... does not have the pull boost on gain that the DC 5 has.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I've owned a DC-3 since the late 90s.  I've gigged with it alot and IMHO its the greatest and most underated amp out.  I've also owned and gigged with Marshall 50 and 100w heads, Peaveys, Fenders and other Mesas but I always come back to the little dc3.

Both clean and distortion will sing when its hot.  35 watts is the reason I think.  At a normal gig I'll be running her hot by the end of the first set and thats when the tone really sings.  This thing loves to get hot and I havent achieved that by just practicing in the garage. Its gotta be loud enough to run really hot.

I've tried different tubes and bla bla but to me its only a subtle difference really, and I tell you, once you get an ear for it you become very picky about effects that alter the tone.  Great stage sound.  Most medium sized venues I'll mic it up and only run a little thru fount of house.

Its a heavy amp but quite small.  I think people dont think its cool enough... {censored} em!  come stand next to the front a house with this baby going mad!

Cheers.

• Members

Very cool unburial axe!

I was just looking at the DC2/3/5 (what happen to 4? :)  )

The Mesa's can be some of the heaviest psi amps out there lol.

How do you like the 3 for "versatility" ...and I mean that in the true sense of the word. Playing many different genres, channel switching, etc. Would I gain much going to a  5?

Archived