Yamama THR owners.. presets and amp settings?

IbanezJon

• Members

So this amp has "virtual circuitry modelling" or whatever it's called. Where the EQ's and master and gain interact with each other, the same way as the real amps? The 'guitar input' was a great idea for this.. otherwise it would have all fell apart.

Is there any guides online about the characteristics of these amps and how to dial in a good sound so to speak?

Perhaps we could make this topic, that sort of thing?

Two things I'm interested in..

One is famous players tones.. I know it varies from guitar to guitar but just as a rough guide..

Hendrix - cranked Plexi with everything on 10.. master, gain, all EQ's etc.. ?

SRV - Fender Twin.. gain and master very high to get tube breakup.. EQ to taste? LOTS of treble? Maybe it's just cause my strats strings are old but sounds better with cranked treble..

Foo Fighers clean - AC30.. with (whatever EQ are the right settings??)

Eric Johnson - Twin model.. with touch of delay, and chorus.. no tube breakup..

EVH - JCM800 with everything cranked, or is that wrong? And just something he says in interviews?

And also.. maybe some general guidelines for each amp model..

Plexi sounds best with gain/master cranked? Can also get a great clean sound by backing off the guitar volume knob?

Rec can't have too much gain or it turns to mush? Can't have too much bass or turns to flub?? Using British 4x12 (on THR editor)instead of American also gives a great sound.

JCM800.. it's very noisey for me, and quite hard to get a sound out of? Haven't tried humbuckers with it yet.

Even the flat and acoustic models seem pretty usable.

I know very little about how to get good sounds out of AC30.. can anyone help?

Wish it had a built in TS/OD thing on the THR Editor and maybe more extended EQ (parametric etc) but other than that.. this amp is AWESOME.

I guess my overall point is.. these amp models seem to quite accurately replicate how to "dial in" sounds.. so is there some resource somewhere.. or even if we create one here.. to help all Yamaha THR users.. for amp models they aren't familiar with. If you know the REAL amps.. you should just be able to walk straight onto these ones and dial it in, in the same way?

• Members

For a real treat back all the gain and vol controls down and use a GOOD overdrive pedal. The Plexi and Vox are my favorite. I also like the clean and bass for cleans. I agree, the JCM800 is just about useless. Too much fizz and noise. The Rect is very useable with the gain almost off.

• Members

Yamama :lol::lol::lol:

Honestly, I think it's quite simple to dial in great tones on the THR even without knowing anything about the amps they are modeling. I've found running the master cranked or nearly cranked sounds awesome on practically all the models. Also, I'm an admitted boost junkie (I have a boost on 95% of the time when I'm playing my big rigs with my band) but I feel that the THR does not need a boost at all - it's tweakable enough to approximate the sound and feel that running a boost up front would provide. However, I have got some great sounds using a boost in front of the THR too, so I guess just experiment!

I wouldn't mind sharing the patches I've made - I have patches saved for 1-5 that start at clean and increase in gain up to the 5th button. I can't remember if I made one using the Brit HI model or not.

Lead and Modern are my favorite models so far - just be sure to switch the cab for Modern to the British 4x12 for the best tone (IMO). I think the amp is worth the $299 just for the Lead model alone.....it's fucking superb :love:

• Members

I dont even use the editor, im sure you can really do some amazing things with it but just backing off the gain or adding gain and playing with the eq brings a pretty decent sized sonic range on the models. It has been my favorite gear investment in a while.

• Members

I dont even use the editor, im sure you can really do some amazing things with it but just backing off the gain or adding gain and playing with the eq brings a pretty decent sized sonic range on the models. It has been my favorite gear investment in a while.

Nurp, please tell me you at least used the editor to change the modern model's cab to British 4x12. This is a MUST IMO.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

The editor is great, I use it a lot. It complements the amp. But of course, if you don't use many effects on thr 10, it could be dispensable.

In my opinion, the great advantage of it is enable us to edit ever single effect, and add another effects like compressor (!) and noise gate.

Archived