Peavey Classic 30 Black

Thomas4024

• Members

Well, originally i was aiming to buy a new amp from upgrading from a line 6 spider 15 for 200$ and that just didn't work well. So i followed everyones advice on this website and other and saved up another ~$200 dollars for this beauty ----- Peavey Classic 30 

peavey-classic-30-112\_2.jpg 

Anyways, I'd like to gain more information on it - its still shipping toward me from Texas - any hints, tricks, background info would be appreciated as this is my first tube amp as well.

• Members

Ive gotten my Peavey Classic now and came to learn from Peavey Customer Service it was manufactured December of 2006. Would there be any major differences between mine and the newest ones?  

Also any general advice on tube amps? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thomas4024 wrote:

Ive gotten my Peavey Classic now and came to learn from Peavey Customer Service it was manufactured December of 2006. Would there be any major differences between mine and the newest ones?  

Also any general advice on tube amps? 

Hey man,

Congrats on the purchase. The C30 is probably the best bang for the buck you'll ever find in that price range.

I highly doubt you'll find differences in your 2006 model and the newest ones. If anything, I'd think yours would sound better.

Tube amps are special in the sound they give you but can break. I gigged with a C30 for a while and never broke a tube, but if you're really paranoid you can probably find a tubeguard on eBay if it doesn't have one already.

The stock Blue Marvel speaker takes a lot of heat for being weak. IMO your 2 best bets are a Celestion V30 or Celestion Greenback. V30 will give you more volume, headroom, and midrange honk for clarity in the mix. The Greenback breaks up earlier and gives you a nice bluesy tone. I went with the V30 and loved it.

I also swapped out my stock tubes with EL84's from Eurotubes. If they're still the way they used to be, you can e-mail or call and discuss what exactly you're going for tone-wise, and they'll send you a perfect set of tubes based on your prefererences. Highly recommended.

The controls are fairly straight forward. If you want max heaviness, dime the pre-gain, leave the post at around 8-10 oclock and scoop your mids (mids down, treble/bass up) for most aggression. Ideally you'll want to slam it with a boost like a Tubescreamer or BD-2 to get into metal territory--the C30 won't get you there alone. For a good rockin tone for gigs I liked the pre at around 12 oclock and post 10-1 oclock depending on the size of the room, with mids at 3:00, treble at 2:00 and bass at 1:00, slamming it with a Tubescreamer for solos/leads. I never bothered with the channel switcher or clean channel because with the gain that low, you can lower the volume knob on your guitar to clean up your sound very, very nicely. Also, I hated the reverb on that thing so that was always at zero.

Hope that helps.

Archived