First DJ package

mikey4402

• Members

My friend and i have been thinking about starting a moble DJ service. He is going to buy the PAs and lights ex. and im going to get the mixers and turntables ex.

I know that you wouldnt really use turntables durning a wedding gig but i want to eventually do some club gigs and use the set up durning my gigs with my band.

I have been looking at Numark fusion 494.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Numark-FUSION-494-DJ-CD-Package-?sku=806139

Is this a good DJ package or are there better options?

My initial investment is around $600, and like i said i need something that will work for wedding gigs and the like but also somthing that i can scratch with durning club and band gigs.

• Members

That system dosen't look too bad as a nice starter package, but doing mobile gigs i think you will find that mixer a little lacking. I generally like mixers with more than two channels for adding in things like laptops and MP3 players. Plus if you are going to be using it with a band I'm sure you'll eventually want to bring other things like drum machines and effects. Also you will find that it more than likely only has 1/4 inch outputs. You are going to want something with XLR outputs, it makes it easier to go into powered speakers. And finally it probably only has one mic input where most wedding DJs like 2 inputs, one for you and one for a mic to pass around for toast and other formalities. You are going to want to invest in one or two good wireless mics as well. As the DJ you will end up set up in the oddest most remote part of the room and you don't want to drag cable and trip the bride's mom. Also I would search the web for the DJ forums to get some tips and advice from the people who have been doing it for years...

Archived