Peavey Classic 50 212 speaker swap

toaster51

• Members

I recently got a 1994 Peavey Classic 50 212 that I'm really warming up to, and I want to swap out the stock blue marvels, and tubes.  I play blues, rock, country, no heavy distortion stuff.   I also have two, well broken in 12" 8 ohm Celestions lying around - a G12H30, and a (Mojotone) 25 watt greenback. I'm wondering if these speakers would work in my Peavey, or is a 50 watt tube amp  too much for them?  Even if I didn't melt them, is using such low powered speakers a good idea?  I've heard great things about  50 watt Legend GB128's, for instance - I can always sell the Celestions.  

I've also toyed with the idea of putting in a good 15" speaker and lighten the beast up a little.  Has anyone out there gone this route?  What speaker did you use? 

What do you think?

• Members

What have you tried? 

The 212 is going to split the amp power so 25w /spk. 50w spk would do fine.

If you use the Celestions you have you need to spec them (impedance) for the amp. If the amp is 8 ohm load then you need a pair of 16 ohm speakers in parallel. If it's 16 ohm, then you put two 8 ohm speakers in series.

Every speaker will have different specs (bandwidth, efficiency, etc) but as long as you stay in the 50w framwork you will be ok. IOW dont go putting 200w speakers in the cab. It will take a ton of power to push them.

Archived