removing superglue ...

hahavishnu

• Members

The only think I can think of is sanding the superglue down. Just remember to stop when you hit the paint. However, if you take the last part of the superglue with some really fine sandingpaper, and give it a buff afterwards, I don't think the sanding will be visible.

That being said; does it really matter how the back of a pedal looks like? I'll bet you it will have some dings after a while.

• Members

There are a couple of "Super Glue Remover" products sold here in US, but I think they're basically acetone in some kind of gel base to thicken them. What I might try would be to use something like chisel edge xacto blade, or even a small chisel and see if you can "pop" the glue without taking the paint with it - but this won't be workable if the glue is spread over a large area.

• Members

I've had some success using a single edge razor blade as a scraper. Hold the blade almost vertical to the glue and gnetly scrape it down. Eventually you will impact the paint but it's pretty easy to buff out the scrape mark, easier than sandpaper scratches.

• Members

I think you'd have a hard time sanding it because the superglue is much harder than the paint. You'll sand the pain off all around the super glue and just just scuff the glue up. Use a q-tip and fingernail polish remover (acetone). be patient and you can get rid of all the residue.

• Members

OK, I know the intent is good, but the answers are wrong.

I own an eyeglass repair shop and you wouldn't believe how many times I see glasses that have broken and someone has dumped half a bottle of superglue on them trying to effect a repair. So I have tons of experience dealing with superglue removal.

First of all, superglue will NOT fix eyeglasses. In fact, you stand an excellent chance of permanently damaging your lenses. Don't go there.

Now, as to the answers to this delimma the original poster has.

1. Acetone will NOT dissolve superglue. I've left lenses soaking in a container of acetone over an entire weekend and found the glue just as stuck on Monday morning as it was on Friday when I left it. Occasionally, it will make the outer edges curl just a fraction, but usually not enough to do any good.

2. Acetone will most likely dissolve the paint on your pedal. If your pedal happens to be made of plastic, it might very well dissolve the plastic itself.

3. Sanding the superglue will probably remove the superglue, but if you're using common sandpaper, you are almost certainly going to leave a sanded area on your pedal where you sanded through the paint. This applies to the higher grit sandpapers (2000, etc.) as well

4. Using a razor blade to try to remove it will almost certainly leave scratches.

5. The Q-tip and fingernail polish remover idea will bring you grief also. Most fingernail polish remover I've seen is NOT acetone. And is made to remove paint (fingernail polish IS paint). Guess what happens when it gets on the paint on your pedal.

OK, so what will work? Here's something we've discovered. This requires patience. If you're in a hurry, you're going to not be satisfied with the result.

Go to your local Walgreens, CVS, grocery store, etc. and find the household cleaning section. Find the item called a "Magic Eraser". There are generic brands, but stick with the namebrand on this one. It's a soft foam block with a very fine abrasive built in. You might use the whole block or it might be better to cut a smaller piece from it. You can cut it with scissors. Take the Magic Eraser and GENTLY sand the top of the SuperGlue. Remember, getting in a hurry is going to produce negative results. TAKE YOUR TIME. Do NOT add anything to the Magic Eraser, no other chemicals, no water, no anything.

This will remove the superglue in almost every instance. I've done it on the surface of prescription lenses numerous times without damaging the lens. The finish on the surface of a prescription lens is much more critical than a guitar pedal, so you should be good to go. I have taken superglue off other things with this method. On rare occasion, I've had an area left on the finish that was not as shiny afterwards. I hit it a lick with some Lemon Pledge and it shines right back up. The wax in the Pledge hides the dullness where I removed the superglue.

Good luck. Let us know how it comes out.

Rod

• 10 years later...
  • Members
On 1/26/2009 at 6:21 AM, Optyk said:

OK, I know the intent is good, but the answers are wrong.

I own an eyeglass repair shop and you wouldn't believe how many times I see glasses that have broken and someone has dumped half a bottle of superglue on them trying to effect a repair. So I have tons of experience dealing with superglue removal.

First of all, superglue will NOT fix eyeglasses. In fact, you stand an excellent chance of permanently damaging your lenses. Don't go there.

Now, as to the answers to this delimma the original poster has.

1. Acetone will NOT dissolve superglue. I've left lenses soaking in a container of acetone over an entire weekend and found the glue just as stuck on Monday morning as it was on Friday when I left it. Occasionally, it will make the outer edges curl just a fraction, but usually not enough to do any good.

2. Acetone will most likely dissolve the paint on your pedal. If your pedal happens to be made of plastic, it might very well dissolve the plastic itself.

3. Sanding the superglue will probably remove the superglue, but if you're using common sandpaper, you are almost certainly going to leave a sanded area on your pedal where you sanded through the paint. This applies to the higher grit sandpapers (2000, etc.) as well

4. Using a razor blade to try to remove it will almost certainly leave scratches.

5. The Q-tip and fingernail polish remover idea will bring you grief also. Most fingernail polish remover I've seen is NOT acetone. And is made to remove paint (fingernail polish IS paint). Guess what happens when it gets on the paint on your pedal.

OK, so what will work? Here's something we've discovered. This requires patience. If you're in a hurry, you're going to not be satisfied with the result.

Go to your local Walgreens, CVS, grocery store, etc. and find the household cleaning section. Find the item called a "Magic Eraser". There are generic brands, but stick with the namebrand on this one. It's a soft foam block with a very fine abrasive built in. You might use the whole block or it might be better to cut a smaller piece from it. You can cut it with scissors. Take the Magic Eraser and GENTLY sand the top of the SuperGlue. Remember, getting in a hurry is going to produce negative results. TAKE YOUR TIME. Do NOT add anything to the Magic Eraser, no other chemicals, no water, no anything.

This will remove the superglue in almost every instance. I've done it on the surface of prescription lenses numerous times without damaging the lens. The finish on the surface of a prescription lens is much more critical than a guitar pedal, so you should be good to go. I have taken superglue off other things with this method. On rare occasion, I've had an area left on the finish that was not as shiny afterwards. I hit it a lick with some Lemon Pledge and it shines right back up. The wax in the Pledge hides the dullness where I removed the superglue.

Good luck. Let us know how it comes out.

Rod

Praying this will help Me get superglue of my leather car seat 😭

Would be grateful if anyone with advice can PM me any ideas on removal.. 

Email address is [removed for privacy considerations] 

Thank you 

Archived