Crackles and clicks (static?) from my 2003 Palomino V32 amp ...

lgc252

• Members

I have a 2003 30 watt Palomino v32 and a 1995 Les Paul Classic - plus.

I can hear that the guitar has grounding issues.  Now the amp - when played on 2 or 3 - is crackling, as if static builds and dissipates making a clicking sound with virtually each strum or pluck.  (It's a nice amp w/creamy overdrive - but this takes the fun out of it.)

Recommendations?

Who knows a good guitar / amp tech in the Baltimore area?

ALSO - looking for an intermediate guitarist to jam with. I like Springsteen, J. Browne, Steve Earle, modern and alt country ... acoustic and/or electric. Original music too - serious & novelty. I live in Towson MD / Baltimore MD

• Members

If it was a really old amp, I'd say look at the carbon comp resistors, because they tend to crack over time, which can cause crackles.  But since it's not really all that old, I'd gently "rock" the tubes in their sockets a couple times to see if that helps.  If the tubes are the original ones, you might have a pin that is losing contact as the chassis vibrates at higher volume levels.  If you've got some Caig DeOxit, I'd pull the tubes, spray a little DeOxit into the sockets, and reseat the tubes.  Or, if you've recently change any of the tubes, pull your new tube and compare the pin diameter of the new tube to the old tube.  Some of the Chinese tubes have small diameter pins, and if your new tube(s) have pins that are smaller than the original tubes, that can cause crackling as the pins shake in the socket connectors.  If I remember correctly, your amp has PCBs in it with a bunch of cables that plug into connectors rather than being soldered.  You might want to disconnect all of the connectors, shoot them with DeOxit, and plug them in again to see if that solves it.  Most of the problems that I mention here are the type that show themselves as crackling when the amp is cranked up enough for the speakers to shake the cabinet/chassis/components.

Archived