Mesa F-series Lounge. Come on in and share your secrets.

Dann'sTheMan

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by hahavishnu View Post
another question.....whats the clean channel like when the preamp is high........is it usable? the manual says the best position on the pre amp is 11 bells through 1
Hi hahavishnu,

Regarding your reverb issue, it's certainly worth trying a replacement set of tubes (useful to have around anyway); but you may have to have it looked it.

As for the Gain knob on the clean channel; I think it's one of the most versatile knobs on the amp. I suspect the line in the amp is standard across all of Mesa's manuals, because the Gain control on the Clean channel can open up so many different sounds. I run mine down at a 9 o'clock when I'm after a Fender type tone with loads of headroom (I usually run a vintage Dynacomp as a clean boost); and up to around 3 o'clock when I'm after compressed tone that breaks up as I dig in. In the 5 star "Guitarist" magazine review, Nick Guppy was also a huge fan of running the Gain maxed out on the clean channel for a crunch sound. Don't forget there's also a pull "Bright" function on this knob, which is not only great for Humbuckers, but great for adding "glassiness" to single coil tones.

Basically, don't get too hung up on the quote in the manual. Yes there are Mesa designs that can quickly sound rather poor when you use extreme settings, but I don't think the F-series are so sensitive. As always, my recommendation is that you trust your ears. If you think it sounds good, it is good! smile.gif

Big smiles,

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

unused F100 head and cab for sale in uk. pick up only i guess. North Lanarkshire Scotland
never left the bedroom factory condition 4 years plus if my memory serves me well

everything all original of course.had some distortion noise that lasted minutes in clean channel when reverb was engaged.short duration noise.must have been one of boogies own {censored}ty valves.stopped now

footswitch."leather" pro cover on amp and a proper cab lead. tags and manual

got 3 amps this is too heavy for me

042.jpg

038.jpg

035.jpg

PM if interested oh yeah forgot something 1300

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Dann'sTheMan View Post
Hi JerEvil,

Welcome to the F-series brotherhood - hope your F-50 continues to put a big grin on your face like mine has. Your F-50 looks like it's just come from the factory - great score! So what kind of music are you using your Boogie for?

Big smiles,

Andy.
Hey, thanks Andy. Right now I am doing a sort of pop-punk band. Think Bad Religion and Pennywise went out one night, drank too much and got into a nekkid fight with the Misfits and NOFX, slipped, fell "into" each other and made a baby. You would then have our band Cherry 2000.

I am really loving the heck out of this amp. I have not had much play time on it. A few hours at best but I can say with full certainty it is a keeper. It covers a lot of ground. I am trying to decide which cab to pair it with now.

• Members

Been getting lots of positive feedback from soundmen at shows (one of them wanted an F50 for his studio after hearing mine). I haven't experienced any radical changes from room to room~ the F50 has been really consistent. I'm dispappointed that I'm not able to use it on my backline list for flydates (as SIR doesn't carry this line).

I've put the Lonestar as my default backline amp for flydates - that's probably the closest one to the F50 that SIR carries.

• Members

Guys, what am I missing on the F50. I love the cleans but whenever I try the gain channel it has a boxy and noisy aspect that I can't dial out. It never has that smooth Rectoverb or even high gain Marshall sound. I ran into the same problem with the Express. Do I just not like the overdrive on the F/Express lines? I thought it was me but all the clips (short of Toimmy Inkila) sound like what I hear.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Razsan View Post
Guys, what am I missing on the F50. I love the cleans but whenever I try the gain channel it has a boxy and noisy aspect that I can't dial out. It never has that smooth Rectoverb or even high gain Marshall sound. I ran into the same problem with the Express. Do I just not like the overdrive on the F/Express lines? I thought it was me but all the clips (short of Toimmy Inkila) sound like what I hear.
In my oppinion the f-preamp likes bass lite clear sounding guitars. Gibsons, thought not a no-go for some styles were frustrating. It sang with teles, ceramic super strats and even p90s though (which you seem to have).

Beware that the eq is after distortion but before some of the other gain stages of the amp which means that, simply it is not as effective as on a recto or even modern marshall. It will alter gain levels and eq curve. Settings like mids full, bass zero, treble zero while {censored} for other amps, sang with my f. Just saying. And though you have the contour switch, it may be too harsh for some guitar/pickup combinations. Finally an eq through the loop can unlock the amp in certain levels. Even parametric or graphics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by J.Paul View Post
Been getting lots of positive feedback from soundmen at shows (one of them wanted an F50 for his studio after hearing mine). I haven't experienced any radical changes from room to room~ the F50 has been really consistent. I'm dispappointed that I'm not able to use it on my backline list for flydates (as SIR doesn't carry this line).

I've put the Lonestar as my default backline amp for flydates - that's probably the closest one to the F50 that SIR carries.
Hi J.Paul,Great to hear that your F-50 is working out well for you, your sound guys, and your audiences! And particularly cool to hear someone wanted one for his studio - here's to the day when these amps are sought out by people in the know (a bit like Boogie's early Studio line of amps).I think the Lonestar is a good choice - it doesn't have as much gain on tap, and cannot get as aggressive as the F-series; however to my ears, the clean tones are even rounder, the break up tones are really usable, and the built in reverb is just stunning. Once again, I wouldn't be surprised if SIR didn't carry these, but the replacement for the F-50 was the Express 5:50 - and it's a solid amp. I personally don't think it has as much personality as the F-50 or the Lonestar, but to my mind it sits in between the two.As it happens I have a flydate this weekend in Denmark. As usual, I am using my POD and going direct. Our 2nd guitarist has just indulged in an Axe-FX II (he usually plays an Express 5:50, that I helped him pick out), and it's making me think I need to upgrade my flying rig. smile.gifBig smiles,Andy.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Razsan

View Post

Hi Razsan,What level do your have your gain channel master Volume set to? And do you use any of the loop attenuation methods that are described in many places in the Lounge? It may well be that you don't get on with the voicing, but your comments about not being able to get a smooth sound makes me wonder (with Contour Off, my F-50 can go Santana mad...) smile.gifBig smiles,Andy.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dann'sTheMan

View Post

Hi Razsan,What level do your have your gain channel master Volume set to? And do you use any of the loop attenuation methods that are described in many places in the Lounge? It may well be that you don't get on with the voicing, but your comments about not being able to get a smooth sound makes me wonder (with Contour Off, my F-50 can go Santana mad...) smile.gifBig smiles,Andy.

andy, my problem is that when I play an F-series (or express) I can't get that bouncy saturated tone that I crave. There is this character that's similar to Fender overdrive that sounds like a brash horn...kind of a "brrrraaaaaap" if that makes sense. I think that it's missing the botttom end.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi guys..long time without posting here.

I wanted to share this clip of our last gig (tribute to Pink FLoyd). Main guitar is a strat into a F50...all clean channel.

Solo is clean channel and the Earth Drive pedal boosted by a BD-2.

As you can hear, a lot of problems dealing with noise in that stage. But aside of that, you can hear the F50 with highs cranked and how it takes pedals..

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Just to share: Yesterday I exeperimented using the Ch-2 Contour/mode. Almost the same settings that the ones used by Dan for emulate the tone of Andy Timmons with his Lonestar. I boosted that signal with and OCD in HP mode, low gain, volume at unity... GREAAAT sound with my strat... just great. Added delay and a hint of chorus on the loop... sustain for days...just great. biggrin.gif

• Members

WOW this thread has been going for 7 years ... and so has my F-100 ! Can't even count how many gigs I have played with that head and it is still going strong. Beer stained and a bit beat up but still rocking hard. New tubes every year, and I did the effects series/parallel change but that is all.

I have been temped by the Mesa Mini lately, killer little amp that won't break my back to haul ... but I don't think I can part with the F-100, it just has a tone that I can't beat.

Currently using it with two cabs depending on the situation. A Mesa oversized Recto 412 for most gigs, and an Old '80s Peavey vertical 212 with Celestion 80 watt speakers for rehearsals and smaller stages.

Anyone gig with a Mesa Horizontal Recto 212? Curious how those sound and how they are being so low to the ground?

• Members

I haven't found any amp that brings the flexibility of the F series with those tones in that simplicity. Great clean tones, More distortion than in the express series, not so heavy as in the recto series... I haven't found an amp that bring all of that for that price.. The mini recto sounds good on videos but I don't like the clean tones on it.

I'm also curious about those horizontal cabs..

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hi Brotherhood,

I haven't posted a clip here for ages, and these ones may not be accessible to most of you (unless you can VPN into the UK)! Nevertheless, I'm still having fun with my Mesa F-50 - both clean and dirty sounds. I'm lucky enough to play for the BBC's first port of call for all things gospel (he also provided the content for a "Spirituals" special that was aired last week). The link below was from a "Gospel" special that was broadcast on the BBC today.

It's mostly clean sounds from my F-50 with FX from my G-Major, and either a vintage Dynacomp or an OCD ("Revive Us Again" and "Total Praise") up front. In case you're wondering, I'm not adding any Reverb to my chain - it's all natural. The church was ridiculously live (you can hear it during the interview with Avery Sunshine), and so we had to use an electronic drum kit. I was able to get away with miking my amp, and yet again, I'm thrilled that my Boogie can sound tasty at such low volumes. The audio and most of the video is recorded entirely live, which made for a long and tiring recording session with the 800 or so people in the church.

Please do check it out on the BBC website - there'll probably be access restrictions e.g. needing to access from UK internet location/IP address. If anyone knows how to work around this, then please let me know, as I'd love a computer friendly version for posterity. In the meantime, the link will be valid for 7 days only, so please let me know what you think!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jg6zq

Big smiles,

Andy.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

{censored}ing A colour. Love it. Congratulations one of my favourite amps of all times. Don't be afraid to bump the mids all the way up and slightly add bass or treble or even keep them to zero, let the contour do the cutting job and get fat tone with dynamics even in high volumes. The "clean" channel even with the gain knob pushed in isn't clean-clean, with power tube break up and a boost you can get a tighter clearer high gain tone than any of the other channels.

This amp advantage and drawback at the same time is its wattage and easy crancking. It gets loud no doubt but depending on the guitar you can be left with a highly compressed clean channel or no clean at all when gigging. The gain sounds are thick and meaty and it matches really good with the V30. I only sold mine for more wattage: still one of the best sounding amps and one of the most dynamic and sensitive (to what guitar and pickups you use) front ends. It likes brighter cutting guitars overall though!

• Members

Hi

Thanks for the compliments on the amp, I love it, too.love.gif I was looking at a black one, waiting for the price to come down and it sold instead. I found this a few hours later and am glad it worked out that way. It is beautiful in person and sounds amazing.

As far as what style of music will be coming out of the Celestion; I'm old so it'll be classic-type rock. I like metal, too, just not downtuned grunting brutal stuff. I'll probably play some 1st world blues licks every once in a while as well.cool.gif

tech21man: I tried what you said just now and it sounds great. I never would've thought maxing the mids and killing the bass and treble would sound good but it does. I put a little bass and treble on the gain channel but cleans are mids only. I haven't found a setting I dislike yet. It bums me out every time I have to power down and do something else, that's a good sign.

• Members

Yeah I know. The f-series preamp is ...weirdly versatile while sounding itself all the time. As said numerously the eq controls are after one two gain stages but before another one (if I remember correctly). So they add subtract gain, alter the eq (though not drastically) and also the feel in general.

I loved the EL84 power section of the f-30, I really did. It even allowed me a decent plexi approximation in the normal channel with the bass being dominant! Damn!

I understand that it is an introductory amp for mesa (ok was...!) but it is ace. What would I like to see?

4 EL84s class AB with a pentode/triode switch (for that extra headroom and thump like a peavey classic 50), real pressence or ressonance controls, modern switch (just a pull switch on a pressence knob actually) to defeat the negative feedback loop and one or two more shaping options (a-la express). Oh and a serial loop. Asking for the graphic eq to be full would pretty much bump the cost...there are outboard eqs and the contour is adequate. In fact, a contour blend control and a three way switch (altering the eq curve) would be easy to implement (as they did on the express/mark V and as salvation mods do to their mark module).

This would be an excellent small lightweight "I kill everything with my fire mids" type of amp!

Archived