Good DJ power amp?

bartmcartman

• Members

Well, the first thing that should be mentioned is that it's best to have an amp that is rated for at least 1.5 times the rating of the speaker. So for a 250W speaker, ideally your amp would be rated for at least 375. You can get by with less, but as long as you're careful not to damage the speakers a more powerful amp will ensure you've always got a clean signal at higher volumes.

I'd look for a used QSC, Crown, Yamaha, etc...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

QSC RMX 1450 for 270 @ 8 Ohms. If ya want some headroon you can't beat their RMX 1850 and it will drive a 2 phm load. Take the time to match your amp to your speakers. Don't "overpower" either as the heat that they can create can thermal (fry) a driver in a heartbeat!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I recently picked up a used QSC RMX 2400 for only $300. it's heavey as crap, but these amps will last for ever. it's already undergone some abuse from me that should have destroyed it, but it still hammers out the sound!

• Members

I recently picked up a used QSC RMX 2400 for only $300. it's heavey as crap, but these amps will last for ever. it's already undergone some abuse from me that should have destroyed it, but it still hammers out the sound!

Those RMX's are built like tanks :thu:

I had a buddy who used a 1450 as his main amp. Used it to power a pair of double 15's and a pair of 15 subs (=2.67 ohms per side) all night. Threw it into the back of his truck with the rest of the gear, left it in the garage in winter and that thing did not quit. Ever.

V.

• Members

You can't go wrong with QSC - although the less expensive models are heavy.

Never though much of Crown except for their old top of the line series. Crest is good, as is Yamaha and even the Mackies. I run 2 Ramsas - excellent sound, a tad low on power and heavy also; but bulletproof.

Archived