Turntable sounds thin? (not DJ)

fyrebyrd

• Members

Ok so I just got me a cheap Sony PS LX56 turntable to play some records I bought at a charity shop:

Yes - going for the one

The Pirates - Out of their skulls

Ella Fitzgerald

I plug it into my active 2.1 speakers and out comes the sound. First of all I have to turn i all the way up and it sounds very trebly and I don't get that "stereo" feel. I was just wondering what I should do. I know the thing has a phono pre-amp and basically I should be ready to go but I was thinking maybe having some kind of an equalizer to help the sound, something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250222281610&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

Cheers!

• Members

Equalizing {censored}ty sound isn't going to equal good sound. It might be that you have a worn out or cheap stylus (a good one will cost you $50-100). It might be the {censored}ty built-in phono amp you're working with too. Or, it could be the accoustics of your turntable. The truth of the matter is that you get what you pay for with audio gear.

You might try starting with getting a phono-amp to make sure you get good clean amplification and then go the stylus, then the turntable. Its going to cost you any way you look at it.

• Members

I agree with the above, what you describe sounds exactly like what happens when you run a phono level signal through a line level input.

Are you sure that turntable has a phono preamp? I looked around at the specs of that model in a few different places and it doesn't say anything about having one.

Archived