Alternatives to CDBaby?

• Members

Hi,

. . . there are so many Digital Distributors, and I think you have to choose the right one for you:

-CD-Baby

-Tunecore

-IDOL

-Office4Music

-IODA

-Dooload

-Catapult, and many many more. . .

I´ve informed me about many different Distributors but I´m working with “Rebeat Digital”, and I´m very happy with them. They´re taking 15% from your earnings and you are getting the other 85%.

I think the only expensive thing on Rebeat Digital is their Software (99,- EUR) – but you don’t have any monthly or yearly fees ;D

myspace.com/_justrubbish

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

we used Tunecore for our 3 song EP and CDbaby for our full-length album. they both put us on iTunes when we signed up with them. both companies have been very good, can't go wrong with either one.

-PJ

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I used a british company called Ditto Music (www.dittomusic.com) for my bands first release

They don't take a cut from your royalties, but do charge £15 a year admin fee's and the cost is like 30p per store i think

but when they say "a store" .. for example iTunes they class "a store" as all 77 iTunes stores covering 220+ countries kinda thing

it took under 4 weeks for my tracks to appear on iTunes, but they do other things like chart registration and a 48 hr iTunes fast track service .. it costs but it is great if your in a hurry

one thing i must say .. for people who have had problems with CDbaby .. i know Ditto don't do physical distribution but they're pretty quick at responding to queries and customer issues

there are a few others like songcast etc but i'm not sure what to make of them at the moment

• Members

This may or may not be of interest to you. My own site http://www.t61plus.com will be offering 100% of artist income less online merchant fees. However, my site is not intended to be a music library, and the site is not yet live. The back end, Submissions, will be available around mid April, 2010. I do not want tens of thousand of songs, and natural music is preferred over DJ music. However the music aspect is only one part of the site. It is intended more as an educational stimulating experience, though the music is there as a means to play the 'games', but not the only mechanism. Check out the info placeholder page, and you can decide if what I am offering is of interest to you or not. If you are familiar with the old sixtyone.com site before the site makeover then you will have a better idea of how the music part of the site will operate.

• Members

For up to $3000 worth of PayPal transactions per month (to T61plus.com) artists receive $9.41 for every $10 = 94.1%

For $3000-$10,000 artists receive $9.45 from $10 = 94.5%

For $10,000+ artists receive $9.48 from $10 = 94.8%

These deductions are 100% PayPal merchant fees. T61plus.com takes nothing, zero, zip from artists..

• 2 months later...
  • Members

My experience just 2 months with CDbaby has been excellent. I was on Itunes within a few weeks and now I'm sold on sites I've never even heard of before. A friend of mine was searching for my album and found European websites distributing my digital files.

If you want your music out there with professional polish and distribution $50 will get you up and going on CDbaby. For the cost and work of recording, $50 is cheap.

I have fans I never would have had. Recieved feedback I enjoy reading, I guess some I don't, lol. I am on people's daily playlists. These are people that really enjoy my music. They do not know me and have never seen me gig, but have chosen to play me regularly. That feels good, I don't care how jaded you are.

The cold hard facts though, you won't sell a lot unless your very well known. But, that's not why I did it. A great number of people, dare I say most people, don't want to pay for their music. Even I listen to most new tunes on You tube. There are some megabands I absolutely love and rush out and get their stuff, but even my favorite artists I've listened to for twenty years I may pay do down load 1 song. Your best sales will come from gigs. However, with your music distributed everywhere your fan base at gigs will have many opportunities to see you as a polished professional and download your work. The average person, doesn't understand any of this. People I've ran into think I've achieved some level of success, I know I paid $50 and anyone could do it if they recorded something.

So, I recommend it. You probably won't get rich, but you can enjoy it a lot. It's something I think most musicians dream about, seeing their work EVERYWHERE. It is pretty cool.

• Members

TUNECORE is the best out there IMO. but I suggest that bands should also invest time and effort on social networking sites and micro blogging sites as well just to build up followers.

And people love freebies. so, i think a bit of free music for fans wouldnt hurt. =]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I decided to go with CD Baby for my new album...

All the registration / file uploading process went very smooth. Next day after the registration they opened my Artist's page with Album and songs previews. A couple of days later they wrote me they are ready for Digital Distribution and asked me to re-check all and approve before they start. I did it and today I see my album on Amazon and iTunes. So, it took about a week from opening account on CD Baby. Till now - I am very satisfied :)

Archived