Small travel guitars

Carle

• Members

I was out today putting out brochures for Merle Travis's birthday celebration friday and saturday after Thanksgiving and played some guitars. At one store I saw a small Takimine Mahogany B/S Cedar top for $330 that has a nice tone and would be very nice for traveling with. The neck was about 1 11/16, 14 fret to body. Played nice off the wall. Could be set up better. Could be bought cheaper probably. Nice blues tone. I can see you shuffling down a back road with it in a canvas bag hung on your back going to the next Juke Joint. Do you really believe Robert Johnson carried a Gibson L00 with him to the Juke Joints. I doubt it. Stella or Harmony more likely. The blues comes from the heart and soul not the guitar.

• Members

Do you know if he owned the Gibson because the info I have read says he played Stella and Harmony. I don't think he would have had enough money to buy a Gibson L00. When some of them recorded the people recording got them another guitar to use because their guitars didn't sound real good. I think they did that with Skip James also. When you think about it the old blues players played some things that no one can duplicate today and they did it on a piece of junk to us. I would bet if we could go back to when they were alive and sit down with them and play their guitar we would have a hell of a lot more respect for what they could get out of it and what they were doing. The guitar was just a tool to them and they used it to make a living with, nothing more.

• Members

Hey Carle,

You're absolutely right about RJ's likely guitars. Fort the greater part of his brief life he bought cheap Stellas due to the fact that he made little money. The famous shot of him holding the Gibson was a posed publicity setup and the Gibson he held most likely wasn't his, but we'll never really know.

• Members

When you think about it the old blues players played some things that no one can duplicate today and they did it on a piece of junk to us. I would bet if we could go back to when they were alive and sit down with them and play their guitar we would have a hell of a lot more respect for what they could get out of it and what they were doing. The guitar was just a tool to them and they used it to make a living with, nothing more.

You're probably right. That would also explain why slide seemed so popular.

Joey

• Members

I'm thinking about picking up one of the Martin LXM's. Even though this little "toy" looking MIM has very little to do with most Martins or even real wood for that matter....:p ......I like it for what it does........much better than the one Seagull Grand & 2 Taylor Baby's that I've encountered. ;) .......my $.02....:)

• Members

maybe a little 12 fret?

I would suggest the Seagull Grand too. OR an Art & Lutherie Ami model from the same makers in Canada. It has their famous Wild Cherry 3 layer laminate all the way around the 12 fret body, a sweet playing maple neck, rosewood fretboard and bridge, a 1 11/16 nut width, and it positively has that great blues sound.

I just happen to have a beautiful black one (their best color IMO) for sale now. The only reason I am selling is my teacher recently insisted that I use wider fretboards because of my extremely large hands and fingers - so I am selling this one, a Martin D-15, a Cort Earth 200 GC, and Yamaha FG-110E....

The Ami is in excellent, like new condition and is about as much fun as a guitar can be. I am asking $150 (the sell for $190 to 230 normally). My ebay username is weblures - I have a positive feedback rating of 96 - 100% positive so am reliable...

Archived