Martin's with wider nuts???

Starr man

• Members

Hi Group... Happy Holidays! I got a new Martin MC-16GTE, and was blown away with it's sound. I tried every acoustic guitar in our 2 Guitar Centers...I bought it. Anyway, after the dust settled I noticed the neck seemed a little differant then my friends DC 16GTE (which is great). I ended up with a 1 3/4 (wider neck) nut, for finger-picking? Anyway, the guitar still sounds great but I cannot do fast lines as comfortably...I have only had it a couple days. Do you think I should stick it out and try to get used to it? Should I take it back and go guitar hunting for the 4th time? Does anyone else play the larger scale necks with good results? Please shed some light on the purpose of the bigger neck.... Thank You! ( I do have large hands) I am used to playing Gibson 335 style guitars.

• Members

Yeah you will get used to it very quickly. I know people that buy guitars with even wider necks such as 1-7/8 and they get used to it. At first it might seem a little wide but after you learn the benefits you begin to love it and hate narrow necks. Go figure.

If you have fat little fingers like me or fingerpick that neck can be a life saver. If you play it for a while and your hand starts hurting or you discover it really is NOT for you then maybe a trade or sell is the way to go.

I wouldn't throw it out too soon. With your large hands I imagine you will come to love it in a few weeks.

• Members

Give it some time. I'll bet you'll get so used to it that 1 11/16 won't do anymore. Bought a Go guitar for travel because it was the one I could get for a decent price with a 1 3/4. I put a new nut on my old Daion beater and it really sounds sweet but I find myself not playing it much die to the 1 11/16 (and also because I several others to choose from I guess). I really believe it will grow on you. Don't give up on that great sounding guitar until you're SURE the 1 3/4 is not for you. My $.02.

• Members

Try alternating between a 1 11/16 steel string and a 2 1/16 classical. The difference between a 1 3/4 and 1 11/16 is only 1/16 inch. That is an extra 1/90 inch per string. Is is that noticeable? I ask because I have an 1 11/16 Larrivee L-03R and always wanted more finger room.

Archived