Martin DX-1 saddle question (may apply to other saddles)

Windsor

• Members

I've purchased a nut and saddle blank for my Martin DX-1. So far, I've replaced the nut and got it completely finished and I love it! I took my time doing it and it was well worth it. However, I can't easily remove the saddle from the bridge. This guitar is only a few months old. My friend just bought a D-15 earlier this weekend and his saddle can easily be removed. I was thinking maybe the black macarta of the DX-1 compressed itself around the saddle a little more than the rosewood of the D-15? Does anyone know if Martin has used glue on the modern saddles? With the exception of the bridge material, the saddles look identical.

• Members

I don't think they used any glue on the saddles. I know they didn't on my 000-1. It should come out with little or no effort. Just wait until you replace the saddle. The guitar will come alive and sustain for days. I used Tusq on mine. These guitars take about 3 years to "open up". I can't believe the difference in tones, after the mods, and time period.

• Members

I have this same problem with my DX, i've wrenched on the saddle with all sorts of pliers and such, still won't come out. I've been too lazy to call martin, so let me know if you find something that works.

• Members

Well guys, thanks for all the help. Tonight I took a set of Craftsman Robogrip pliers to it, padded with some heavy duty paper towel and with smooth, constant pulling, it came out. I grabbed it by the bass string section initially. Smooth, constant pulling seems to be the key.

Anyway, the nut and saddle have been replaced with pre-ban ivory and I have to say that this thing sounds like God himself bestowed it upon me. I love it! I could tell a difference immediately when tuning it up. I will try and post pics once I get the chance.

Archived