I've found the holy grail of guitar stands

Preacher Will

• Members

I know I'm gonna sound like a sales rep here--and, LB, I hope this isn't too far off topic--but I've found the best guitar stand I've ever used.

It is the Hercules GS414B with auto-grab. You can see it at this link: http://www.megaguitars.com/guitar_stands/hercules_guitar_stands.htm. I've owned stands from Ultimate, Fender, On Stage Stands, and some off-brand things that were just pieces of cheap tubing and none could hold a candle to the Hercules. First, the thing is stable as the Rock of Gibralter. I've always been terrified of knocking over my guitar on a stand so I use one only sparingly, but I couldn't knock this Hercules stand over even when I tried. It is that stable. Big, fat tubes for extra strength; height adjustable to accomodate even big bass guitars; and the capper is the auto grab feature which uses the weight of the guitar to lock it into the stand. Set the guitar in the holder and it locks onto the headstock and suspends the guitar. When you pick it up, the grabber releases and the the guitar just slides out. It really works sweetly. I bought one for myself and now every guitar player in the church wants one. They really are that good.

The Preacher

• Members

I have been using the Hercules stand for about 9 months and it is the best. I do however drape a flannel rag over the area where the neck hangs because it has a small rubber pad and marked Marcies neck:eek: . I also read that the rubber can affect the finish. It is the most stable stand I have seen and the guitar will NEVER fall OUT of it.

• Members

I also have and use these stands.....I also place a guitar cleaning rag over the Top of it like, Carle

these are just nice stands...
a Luthier freind of mine, saw mine and stated that he will be getting some for his guitars...He was too say the least,
impressed by them ...
and he hates gimmicks in the guitar industry..........

• Members

I like the older Hercules with the fold out bottom support rather than that new design where it just lays on the bottom. I dont like how these stands leave the lower bout wide open to people kicking and tripping. Easy to hit that exposed top. At least on some stands the little supports stick out beyond the guitar for limited protection. No biggie tho. Great stands

As far as the top grabbing head on the older models scratches your guitar pretty good if you use it long enough. I simply wrapped the rear side with rubber tape from Ace hardware that seems to be pretty safe.

Now the best Hercules stand IMO is the dual stand. It is more sturdy and also seems more stable.
All in all this is one of the best stands out there but it is far from perfect.

One mistake stand mfg make is allowing it to be too unstable side to side or tipping to the front. You never see a guitar fall backwards. It's usually forward. Or side to side. This one is not the worst or the best in that regard.

They also need to make the little flippers and more of that grabber head scratch proof.

I still like my wall hangers better at home. They keep them more safe. I like these hercules stands onstage though.

• Members

Originally posted by mark bradley

In the area of stands that hold guitars at the headstock you might want to check out shadowstand.com

These stands have a padded leather headstock cradle to ensure protection of guitar finishes and make for a very clean way to display guitars.

Mark

Thanks for the link ...How are they against tip~ability

and what kind price range are they...just curious

• Members

Hello SteveO,
Had to laugh, one of my closest chums is known affectionately as Steve-O... He's in northern IN tho so I'm guessin' you're not him... Yeah, the stands are stable, actually very stable but I'm not at all certain what stores are selling them for... The street price tends to drift around from store to store like so many other things... Suggested retail was quoted by a number of guitar mags at 48.95, discounts will vary but that's the published number.

Archived