Which would you rather have...?

mielkea

• Members

Hey All -

Which one of these guitars would you prefer?

The Tokai version?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2576402800&category=2385

or the Epi version?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031128103309004004039214404876/g=home/search/detail/base_id/34637

(Any idea on why the natural version is so much more??)

I'd love to get a guitar like this - maybe the real Gibson someday - but I'm leaning towards the Tokai... of course, I don't know what the final price will be there.

Thoughts?

Mielke

• Members

I'd love to be playing Lennon - just a bit too heavy though! Maybe if he lived on like Elvis and got to his "heavier" years... HA!

As far as the knobs go, I wouldn't want all my guitars like that, but would be cool for one of them.

AM

• Members

The Tokia one looks a million times better. I can't really tell by photos though. These kinda guitars always look good in photos but sometimes feel alot different in your hands. If the Tokia is a solid back and not laminate then it might be interesting. They sure do go through alot of trouble mentioning solid top but nothing about the back and sides. So I imagine it is laminate back. I love that burst they put on the back of body and neck. Be aware that the forward position of the pickups in these J-160E look alikes is a little hard to deal with tonally sometimes and can sound like a jazz box. Probably horribly cheap pickups. The knobs and pickups on the Gibson J-160E dont really kill the tone that much so It's a cool blues guitar IMO. For live stage work. The general design.

I have a photo of Lightnin' Hopkins playing a J-160E in the 50s or 60s.

I think the Epi version of this guitar looks and plays cheesy. It got great reviews though. I am not crazy about the Non-Elite line of Epis. Especially hate the electronics. But for a few hundred bucks that's what you get.

• Members

Not sure about Tokais today. 20+ years a go, they use to clone Les Pauls & Strats to a tee. Law suits and stuff forced them to change a few things. In 1972 they had a Technical Contract with C.F. Martin & Co for design of acoustic guitars.

They build some decent stuff, but farm a lot out to Korea like everyone else. A good Tokai made in Japan is probably better than a Korean Epi.

• Members

The original ones John Lennon and George played had plywood tops. Interesting problem for Gibson when hey reissued the model. Do they remain historically accurate or do they build a superior guitar when they re-issue? I think they made them both ways to cover their bets. I'd want a solid wood one myself but I have to agree that knobs in the top kill tone and aren't much fun to look at.

Archived