Dating my Guild Guitar

ptleroux

• Members

I was wondering if any Guild owners have tried to date and verify their model guitar. Does anyone else have a f25ce-nt The model in the books don't exactly match mine. The F25 should have the chesterfield logo and mine does not.

Thanks for any help!

• Members

HI, thanks for the fast reply...

It is wood grain but has a high gloss finish. In the dating guides they have an f25e/f4 but if you look in the book Gruhn's guide to vintage guitars he details almost every guitar from every manufacturer and mine seems to be a cross between the f/25 and f4. I was wondering if it could be some kind of prototype?

I can see the date inside is 1992 and the Serial number is line with the f25e but it should have a chesterfield logo?

Maybe I'm being to darn picky!!!

Thanks again

• Members

If I am not mistaken the difference is just that the F25 has a solid back and sides while the F4 has a laminated back and possibly also sides. This would explain why the numbering for these two models is mixed up into a sequential order, i.e. same guitars with laminated materials swapped in for the back and possibly also the sides. So, it's either an F4 or an F25. Isn't the model number written on the label. Was the Chesterfield used on 25's or only on more $$$ models? Hopefully you've got a solid wood 25.

• Members

Originally posted by 54merk

If I am not mistaken the difference is just that the F25 has a solid back and sides while the F4 has a laminated back and possibly also sides. This would explain why the numbering for these two models is mixed up into a sequential order, i.e. same guitars with laminated materials swapped in for the back and possibly also the sides. So, it's either an F4 or an F25. Isn't the model number written on the label. Was the Chesterfield used on 25's or only on more $$$ models? Hopefully you've got a solid wood 25.

Ptleroux

As chance would have it I got a call from the guitar store today saying that my '76 Martin D35 was finally done after 4 months of major work.

While I waited I looked up your Guild D4/D25CE in Gruhn's. Turns out you are probably right, and I really had no idea what I was talking about. Both of these instruments are extremely similar with laminated back and sides,, however like you said, the 25 should have the Chesterfield, while the D4 does not. It looks like the D25CE was replaced with the D4, so it's possible that yours is a hybrid 25 with the D4 neck. Very interesting. Probably a great sounding guitar.

:cool:

Archived