Sanding bracing

dehughes

• Members

Could I gradually and evenly reduce the mass of the bracing on my Taylor by gently and slowly sanding them until I get the top loosened up? I know some luthiers adjust guitars that are heavily braced by shaving the braces, but is this something that I could do myself if I took my time and at least rounded off the edges of the square braces, giving a good listen as I go?

david

• Members

I know a fellow who does this. His name is Brian Gray. He did it to my Larrivee and a cheap dreadnaught, with great results. It took him many hours, and it is painstaking work to do. He has a lot of experience because he has done it to a number of other guitars. He also has developed his sanding techiques from many years as a machinist building hi-tech models for aerospace companies. I would be a risky experiment if you lack the skills and experience of someone like Brian. If you want to get in touch with him to discuss what is involved, let me know and I will pass on his contact info.

• Members

Originally posted by dehughes

Could I gradually and evenly reduce the mass of the bracing on my Taylor by gently and slowly sanding them until I get the top loosened up?

You can do it, sure. You can also void your warranty if you're the original owner. Just a thought...

Steve

• Members

For what it's worth I think you get the most improvement in sound for your effort by sanding the main X braces and tone bars where they meet the guitar sides at the lower bout. Sanding there doesn't weaken the top and create more bellyingbecause of the location and you want that area flexible to get the top moving. Sanding the actual soundboard in the periphery might help too. There. Now you know my secret.

• Members

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. Void warranty? Heck, that's what I'm all about! :) Really though, I've voided so many warranties it's not even funny. I just like to tinker, I guess, even if it's not ultimately in my best interests.

Okay, Robal, I'm interested in this Brian gentleman and would love to get his contact info from you. I have a local shop that could do this work, but it never hurts to get a second opinion.

Guitarcapo, is there a source of information somewhere about where to remove bracing mass to acheive certain results? I know where the X braces are located, but I'm not sure about the tone bars. Plus, I'd imagine that removing mass in a certain area will affect the rest of the instrument in a predictable way, so it would be in my best interest to figure out where exactly I need the mass removed and to what extent I can remove it without "imbalancing" the instrument excessively, tonally or structuraly. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

david

• Members

Guitarcapo, is there a source of information somewhere about where to remove bracing mass to acheive certain results? I know where the X braces are located, but I'm not sure about the tone bars. Plus, I'd imagine that removing mass in a certain area will affect the rest of the instrument in a predictable way, so it would be in my best interest to figure out where exactly I need the mass removed and to what extent I can remove it without "imbalancing" the instrument excessively, tonally or structuraly. Any suggestions?

the tone bars are those two other large braces that connect one of the X braces to the soundboard edge. They are the second largest braces on the top after the main X braces.

I build guitars and I find in general that removing area from the wood in the perphery of the lower bout soundboard and braces increases bass and volume. Trebels seem to be more a function of the bridge, bridgeplate, stiffness of the wood and braces (stuff going on in the center of the soundboard at the bridge). Scalloping also increases bass but I think it's harder to control tonally and might cause bellying. I like tall thin straight tapered braces more.

If somebody was looking to increase bass response and volume I would suggest sanding the soundboard and any braces in the area where the soundboard meets the guitar sides in the lower bout periphery. Sand a bit. String it up and play. Repeat if necessary Be careful to listen for balance. If the guitar starts to get boomy you've overdone it and you're stuck with a "D-28" sound for life.... Sadly it's probably the hardest spot to reach with your hand in the soundhole. Good luck.

Archived