Breedlove SC25

acoustic4life

• Members

I'm in the process of buying a Breedlove SC25 w/Maple back&sides. I was wondering if there are any other Breedlove owners out there that could testify to thier sound and reliability. I've been a faithful Taylor owner and player for years, this is the first time I've ever considered anything else, but a Taylor. I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice. It's a great sounding guitar it just sounds different from that Taylor sound I'm used to and I don't know if that is bad or good. I hope someone can help me, I'm hoping to get it in the next day or so.

• Members

I can most definately relate. I have sold two Taylors this year and replaced them with Breedloves. I was a Taylor fanatic from the early nineties until about a year ago. Slowly I found my Taylors lacking the low end punch that my ears wanted to hear.

The Taylor neck and playability kept me going back to them even though I was not satisfied with the sound I was getting. I tried many other makers (even bought and sold a few) but was never comfortable with the neck's until I found Breedlove. They have the same great neck and playability but with much more low end punch. I just recently sold a 2003 814CE with the new ES and replaced it with a Breedlove Ed Gerhard model. I love the sound of the Gerhard and have no regrets at all.

I still own one Taylor a '97 514 CEW LTD. The cedar/mahogany is a great combo and my favorite of all Taylors.

But for now, I am officially a Breedlove Fan. :D

• Members

I looked long and hard for my dream guitar. It turned out to be a Breedlove C-22. Bearclaw Spruce top with Figured Mahogany sides. I had a bitch of a time getting the schertler Blue-Stick installed correctly though. I had to send it back to Dodd at the factory. Then, I lowered the saddle a bit myself to get it playing like it was when I bought it. Its still better acoustically than plugged in. Although I am generally happy with it. I spent close to $3,500.00 with the pickup. I almost bought a Collings. I don't know if anyone's dream ever becomes reality. As you spend time with any instrument, there is always

some quality that is less than perfect. You can end up chasing your tail.

Ultimately, happiness is loving what you have. We could do a lot worse than a Breedlove.

• Members

On the other hand, there are often qualities in an instrument that grow on you the longer you have it. My current guitar is a good example. I liked it alot when I got it, but I love it now.

One of the things I particularly liked about the Breedlove I had was its design. Some people absolutely hate the headstock and the bridge; I loved that the design is assymetrical as I felt it added alot of character. Mine had the premium bridge that looks like it's two pieces. The more I had that guitar the more I liked it.

I agree that the dream guitar is an elusive thing. Once we think we have it we always seem to come up with a new dream. Kinda fun though ain't it. :)

• Members

Gotta agree with ya Unk, about the "growing on you" statement. I really used to *hate* the Breedlove look. That bridge and that headstock just completely turned me off.

But I have played an SC20 in sitka/ziricote that's a terrific guitar. I keep going back to it at my local store. Now I still don't like the Breedlove look... the headstock in particular looks like it got melted and warped. But I'm now to the point where I think I could live with it, if only the dealer would give me that ziricote guitar for about 60% off... ;)

Archived