Blind taste test...

irpacynot

• Members

Hey folks,

I recorded this little snippet, and thought it would do nicely for a little blind test. I would love to hear what you think about the quality of the mic used, its placement, and what effects you think were used. Any and all other comments are most welcome.

Here's the snippet (it's very small - so no worries all you dial-up folk) : Awake In Me

Later on I will tell you about what was used.

Thanks for playing :D

Tony

• Members

My guess is not a microphone at all - maybe a B-Band AST?

Effects - just a touch of ambience.

The piece was recorded in the lounge room at the right side of the house on an overcast day at 2:35 pm.

The relative humidity was 55%.

Strings 7 day old D'Addario EXP16's

The nail on your middle finger needed trimming.

How close am I?

• Members

Originally posted by FingerBone Bill

My guess is not a microphone at all - maybe a B-Band AST?

Effects - just a touch of ambience.

The piece was recorded in the lounge room at the right side of the house on an overcast day at 2:35 pm.

The relative humidity was 55%.

Strings 7 day old D'Addario EXP16's

The nail on your middle finger needed trimming.

How close am I?

You dirty dog! You are almost totally right on (B-Band AST 1470)except for the strings :D . Actually it was recorded in my bedroom, which is a dead sounding room, only slightly compressed. And yes, my index nail is all messed up. I wore it to a knub writing some crazy piece the day before.

It sounded pretty darn transparent though. I thought I would try to pull the wool over y'all. FB, you win the prize. Six more months of me loitering around here! :rolleyes:

I know there's a lot of folks comin' around who are still relatively new to the world of pick-ups, and perhaps this sample will help them decide whether the 1470 is route they want to consider.

Peace!

• Members

Originally posted by TimH

interested in what guitar that was and how it sounds strummed....was a nice piece IMHO.

Hey Tim,

That's my trusty `ole Larrivee OM02. I strum with my index finger, but I've listened to folks strum it with a pick a bit hard and it can begin to sound brittle at that point.

Thanks for checkin' it out,

Tony

• Members

I had Emailed Tony about this becuse sounds can be subjective,and he is the Composer...He asked also for some Critqueing

well I felt that should be done Privately because it is personal...

Now understand,.... I like Tony's work and Compositions

But he asked me to POST the Email here, so Here it is....

[Cool, do you mind posting this on the HC thread. I want folks to read your comments. Also, what did you think of the mic itself? Thanks, TC ]

Tony...Hello

The Highs are good .....if you can bring a touch of the lower-midrange in and clear up the slight muddy-ness of the Bass it will come alive...

The Bass slides are real cool in this, it's just they're a little muddy and it takes away from the Compistion of the song .....

Or bring in some Brightness in the whole lower Freq,(bottom end and miderange and drop a touch of the high freq,)

or maybe double up on the String Popping in the bass and give it a hard driving jazz sound on the Bottom...Kinda like Hedges styling..

But that was only on the receiving end ,Just my $0.02

I love the Composition

Peace~SteveO

Oh the Mic Question has been answered..:D

Tony has some Great Ideas and is a great Musician...

I have one of his CD's(and one on the way) and play it in rotation

along with a CD called Dancing on the strings by El Mcmeen [who by the way is #9 on the acoustic charts right now]

So that should tell you how much I like his Music....

• Members

Originally posted by irpacynot

You dirty dog! You are almost totally right on (B-Band AST 1470)except for the strings
:D
. Actually it was recorded in my bedroom, which is a dead sounding room, only slightly compressed. And yes, my index nail is all messed up. I wore it to a knub writing some crazy piece the day before.

It sounded pretty darn transparent though. I thought I would try to pull the wool over y'all. FB, you win the prize. Six more months of me loitering around here!
:rolleyes:

I know there's a lot of folks comin' around who are still relatively new to the world of pick-ups, and perhaps this sample will help them decide whether the 1470 is route they want to consider.

Peace!

Hah, lucky guesses! ;)

I've been checking out B-Bands and I-Beams a lot lately so maybe my ears are just tuned to them at the moment.

The sound you got is pretty damned good - none of the boomy-ness you can sometimes get with that type of pickup.

I'm really in two minds about which type to get but whatever way I go I'm ordering mine next week.

• Members

Thank you very much, SteveO. And BTW, I got your cd out today. I hope you dig it :cool: .

FB, I totally agree with your comment regarding boominess. It's one of the main things I like about this pick-up (its lack of it). The PUTW #27 was really hard for me to tweak, and though I've never had an opportunity to try one, I suspected the iBeam to be similar in that respect. Like the #27, many very prominent folks are using them, but an important thing I think should be considered is that they are using A class gear with experienced engineers behind the wheel. For plug & play guys like myself it just doesn't pan out too well.

SteveO, any updates regarding the PUTW system?

Tony

Archived