info on old kay/harmony/silvertone archtops?

EvilTwin

• Members

I've been listening to and playing a lot more jazz lately. Django Reinhardt and gypsy jazz is my personal favorite stuff (I like most pre-bob jazz, though), but I have a very, very limited budget and even the new Saga/Gitane reissues of the classic Selmer/Maccaferri designs are outta my reach.

So I've been looking at a lot of old archtops on eBay. There seems to be a lot of great deals, but I haven't ever played one of these style of old guitars.

What do they sound like? Play like? Best specs to look for? Any and all info is welcome. :)

• Members

If you're trying to emulate that Selmer tone, any of the old Kay/Harmony style archies would be a good choice, assuming it has the pressed spruce top, rather than a birch top....

The problem with these guitars is usually horrible fretwork and loose neck joints. If you spend the money to have these problems fixed, you'll end up spending nearly as much as one of the Saga instruments.

Figure $100 for the guitar; another $150 to get the neck stabilized, and another $175 for a plane/refret/setup....and you may have to buy a new bridge too...

Another choice would be to find a decent flattop for little money, and put a tailpiece on it...assuming that the neck set is laid back far enough for a tall saddle....

I'd save my pennies and go for the Saga/Gitane....although the ones I've played haven't got that lively snap the Selmers have.

• Members

Originally posted by dave251

If you're trying to emulate that Selmer tone, any of the old Kay/Harmony style archies would be a good choice, assuming it has the pressed spruce top, rather than a birch top....

The problem with these guitars is usually horrible fretwork and loose neck joints. If you spend the money to have these problems fixed, you'll end up spending nearly as much as one of the Saga instruments.

Figure $100 for the guitar; another $150 to get the neck stabilized, and another $175 for a plane/refret/setup....and you may have to buy a new bridge too...

Another choice would be to find a decent flattop for little money, and put a tailpiece on it...assuming that the neck set is laid back far enough for a tall saddle....

I'd save my pennies and go for the Saga/Gitane....although the ones I've played haven't got that lively snap the Selmers have.

Don't forget tuners. :D

I'm looking into the old Harmony reinforced neck archtops, but I have no clue how successful this design was. Any seller will say that the neck is straight and plays well just to hook people.

I truly wouldn't mind having the guitar as a little project. There's just something about having a really old guitar that's passed through a lot of hands, too.

The Saga's I've found online haven't been cheap, though. I mean any price under a grand for this style of guitar with a solid top isn't too shabby, but I can't swing it at the moment. One thing I always wondered about was the backs and sides...were the originals laminates? A lot of custom luthiers make all-solid versions.

Anywho, thanks for the info.

And I'll try to stay away from the Silvertones, Cortfan. :)

Archived