What strings do you use on you Larrivee?

inkwachemis

• Members

HI,

I have a rosewood larrivee DO-3R. I've had it for about 4 months now. It came with Exlir polywebs, which I initally liked, but eventually found it a bit dull sounding. I tried DR Rares on a suggestion from people here and really disliked them. I took them off within 5 min actually. Then I tried Exlir nanowebs and liked them much better than the polywebs. A bit more lively sounding. However I kinda still wanna try other brands. Is it me or does your guitar get kinda tired sounding after heavy playing for about an hour? It's wierd, when I first pick it up, it sounds great, very chimey, deep, and full sounding. Then after about an hour, it starts sounding kinda dull and rubber band sounding. Then the next day it's the same thing. Is it the guitar, or is it my ears getting tired?

• Members

What gauge strings are you using ???

GHS's Phos.Bronze are good for about two-to-four weeks
NewTones are Good ones....
I have found that each guitar has a string that makes it sound Best...
I have gone through this with all my guitars...
I think it is part of the Fun in playing them and in dialing your own sound..
just my$0.02

• Members

Originally posted by SteveO

What gauge strings are you using ???

GHS's Phos.Bronze are good for about two-to-four weeks

NewTones are Good ones....

I have found that each guitar has a string that makes it sound Best...

I have gone through this with all my guitars...

I think it is part of the Fun in playing them and in dialing your own sound..

just my$0.02

I'm using 12-53 gauge, or "light" Elixir strings. I don't think I can handle any heavier than that. I actually really like the string gauge feel that I have now. I actually tried a set of 12s and 11s of the DR Rares, and both sets came off within 5 mins. With the 11s, I was amazed on how much boominess I lost.

I have a set of Martin SP phosphor bronze 12-54 and D'Addario acoustics that I haven't tried yet. Maybe I might some of those. But this is my 1st acoustic guitar after playing electric for many years and one thing that I've noticed is that string brand and gauges make a really big differnce in sound with an acoustic!

Archived