How bright can you make a Martin D-15

Spaceman3

• Members

it has a wonderful strumming tone, but i was wondering, how bright you can make it by switching out parts. i couldn't really get anything out of finger-picking on it, but i was wondering if you could get it bright enough (and with lower action) for some pretty articulate finger-picking.

• Members

Try Elixir Nanos and a bone saddle. Worked for my OM-15. Also try a thumb pick and use a little of your natural finger nails when picking. The 15 series are more of a dark/airy/woody tone though. I love it. But, I also like the brightness of my Taylor.

• Members

Originally posted by Spaceman3

it has a wonderful strumming tone, but i was wondering, how bright you can make it by switching out parts. i couldn't really get anything out of finger-picking on it, but i was wondering if you could get it bright enough (and with lower action) for some pretty articulate finger-picking.

Go see Leo Kottke live and see just what can be done with fingerpickin' on an all Mohogany Martin!. Leo could play a guitar with suspension bridge cables for strings. I reckon you'll get answers like bone nut, saddles, bright strings and what not.

• Members

For an all mahogany guitar to sound bright you have to:

make it smaller like a 000
don't scallop the braces
brace it for light guage strings
long scale length
make the top thin
maple bridge plate
Ebony bridge
ivory or bone saddle

That would be my way of building one. Really I think you'd be better off building with maple and spruce though....

• Members
Originally posted by LittleBrother

5. Buy a different guitar that sounds like you want
;)

haha, that will probably eventually happen. i want to get a Taylor, like a 214 or something. i love the Taylor feel, especially for fingerpicking, but the Martin... i have this song that is mostly just strumming open strings sort of hard, and it sounds beautiful with a D-15.

one day, when i have money, i'll have both. but for now, i'll just have to stick with my electrics.

• Members

I really think you need at least 2 acoustics....A strummer like a D-18 (or something like that) and a fingerpicker like a 000-28. I've never played an acoustic that exceled at both. It's either one or the other or a compromise. I think it has to do with a sonic property called "separation"

Archived