K&K pure western on Martin DR

SongMan

• Members

I have Martin DR and want to install K&K pure western. This Guitar is used at my church, for it will be used for all strumming. anyone reject to this combination? Also, I am looking for a chorus to play this guitar through. Let me know which one you guys reccomend. Thank you so much, David-

• Members

Hi there , I just installed the K+K in my gibson . It is as advertised , very natural sounding , just like the unplugged guitar (almost) So if you are looking for the punchy sort of sound that we have come to expect from most other electricfied guitars this will not do it (IMHO) But it does give you a much truer sound , might not be for all tastes or situations .If you are happy with the sound from your Martin as is and just want it amplified this is a good choice.

cheers

• Members

My advice is to try a Larrivee with dual source B-band pickups -Ust and ast-not the same brand I know, but with the slider you can go from one to another to see which sounds best. I actually liked the ust better-it was more cutting while sounding very good. The ast was more woody sounding but the volume level was way less and I suspect it wouldn't cut through other instruments as well. For solo type work it would sound more natural though.

• Members

I recently glued the Pure Western into my D-28 and play it through the PA at Church for a fairly true sound-- much better than my electrified Takamini. You don't need a pre amp, either. The only thing I miss are the controls at my side ( I can't play during the sermon) ;) It was a little scary drilling for the plug, but if you apply some blue painter's tape it shouldn't splinter. Also, use the foil in case you mess up--the super glue is not forgiving...

• Members

You must be extremely careful if you choose to use a bit...and even then you stand a good chance of chipping the wood (I did, even with a sharp bit and tape). The best way to enlarge the endpin hole is to use a reamer.

By the way, I installed my K&K in a D-15 and skipped the foil tape. No preamp for me either and I really like the sound.

• Members

i started the hole with a drill bit, and then moved up to my 1/2" reamer that i bought from sears.

this reamer isn't as good at the ones stewmac.com sells (i have a 3/8" reamer from there) . it doesn't cut nearly as smoothly. also using the 1/2" sears reamer i had to work from the outside, then stick the reamer through from the inside and out the other side and turn it with some pliers to get the inside part of the hole wide enough. i have succesfully used it to do this on about 3 guitars though. i guess it's not bad for 7 or 8 dollars..the stewmac reamer is a lot more tan that..

as far as the installation of the pickup system itself after that goes, it wasn't that hard at all.. i followed the directions and got it done right..very pleased with how it turned out.

Archived