to shim, or replace saddle?

nasum

• Members

mid 70's usa guild d-40nt. Starting to get a hint of fret buzz on the G and it drives me bonkers.

shim it and see how it plays out?

loosen the truss?

replace saddle (I hate shaping bone saddles and don't feel like paying someone for the work, nor will I use anything other than bone)?

shim G at the nut? I've never tried that...

thanks

• Members

why assume it's the saddle?
it could be something else. it would help if you were more specific about when and where the buzz occurs. (which fret, does it do it when the string is played open, etc etc).

you may also want to check out:

http://www.frets.com

you'll learn pretty much everything you need to learn about taking are of, setting up your guitar, etc etc.

• Members

the buzz is only on the open G, it is buzzing on the first fret (meaning I play G# and it isn't there). The room it sleeps in is sort of on the dry side, but I do have a humidifier going. The average humidity is around 65-70 on the little guage I have. It does get pretty cold in here overnight, but that doesn't seem to effect it at all since it has been in warmth over the last three months and started doing it a bit ago.

• Members

An ebony or rosewood shim is a good bandaid and some factories ship NEW guitars with them. One of my Larrivees (OM-03) came with a black (ebony) shim. Pissed me off too.

I always keep the old saddle though and make new ones. That way if I am wrong or something I can go right back. Now people that put matchbooks and things under their nuts and saddles are just nuts. IMO.

If you do have to use a shim , use a good one.

Archived