Im looking for a classical...

stevehollx

• Members

I'm looking for a classical, something around the 350-400 used range.

My only requirements are:

-A warm, round tone. Mostly for single note stuff. Im not much of a chord player.

-Good playability. I like fairly low action. I assume this can be acheived with a setup? (I don't know how to set up an acoustic, so Im not really even sure how low action can get). I like thin-backed necks too.

-Possibly a cutaway, but that is not a decessity.

-Electronics would be a nice feature, but certainly not a selling point.

What do you people reccomend I look at? I played an alvarez in this price range, and thought it sounded pretty good. I think I tend to like how alvarez voices their gutiars. I loved how my steel 12 string alvarez sounded. I'm probably going to be playing mostly with a pick (yeah, I know thats a sin to most nylon stringers).

Oh, and what is the difference between "classical" and "spanish"?

Thanks

• Members

Originally posted by stevehollx

I'm looking for a classical, something around the 350-400 used range.

My only requirements are:

-A warm, round tone. Mostly for single note stuff. Im not much of a chord player.

-Good playability. I like fairly low action. I assume this can be acheived with a setup? (I don't know how to set up an acoustic, so Im not really even sure how low action can get). I like thin-backed necks too.

-Possibly a cutaway, but that is not a decessity.

-Electronics would be a nice feature, but certainly not a selling point.

What do you people reccomend I look at? I played an alvarez in this price range, and thought it sounded pretty good. I think I tend to like how alvarez voices their gutiars. I loved how my steel 12 string alvarez sounded. I'm probably going to be playing mostly with a pick (yeah, I know thats a sin to most nylon stringers).

Oh, and what is the difference between "classical" and "spanish"?

Thanks

One thing to consider - most classical guitars don't have a pickguard, so you could do some significant damage to the top with a pick. With that said, here are some guitars to check out.

Lucida Concerto I own this guitar and in my opinion it smokes anything under 1500.00.

You won't find any classical that sounds like a 12 string.

One other guitar to check out is some of the Yamaha classicals. Yamaha #1

Yamaha # 2

Then, if you can spend just a bit more, here's one for you:D

Wow!!

Good luck in your search.

Spanish and classical are the same thing.

• Members

there is no difference in domestic & spanish, etc classicals, but there is a difference between a classical and a flamenco, though not a great deal.

i know washburn makes a decent model, probably as good as the alvarez, but honestly nylon are not like tradition steels, to get a quality instrument you have to spend more. though since your talking about playing it a different way then i am, perhaps you won't.

the Lucida Concerto is a good guitar, though i like Ramirez better

I have a Ramirez & a couple of Cordobas. i just sold a cheap $350 cordoba for $30 to one of my students. sorry. good luck.

Archived