How do i learn to fingerpick?

Redsweater

• Members

Well Like ya Know, it'z not a Chatroom or anything...
It's a Guitar Forum...
Now ???What style???? Classical or just plain steel string finger picking...or Blues or new agey stuff...

Before anyone can truely answer you ,kinda got ta know what your looking for
Me I would say Get a Music Teacher and go from there...
Hope that Helps...

• Members

It's true that letting your desires be known makes it easier for folks to advise you.

If you don't know which style you'd like to learn, you might want to check out Stefan Grossman's site, where he offers audio and video lessons in many styles, taught by some of the best performers/teachers in the world. This site has helped launch tons of players who didn't know where to start.

Of course, taking lessons from a teacher nearby is always great but not always possible.

Either way, it takes desire and commitment to learn how to play. So now it's up to you. Pick a course of action and stick wth it. The rewards are great!

• Members
Originally posted by Redsweater

oops, sorry, doyle dykes made me wanna learn.

Might check out and listen to greats like Chet Atkins, Merle Travis and the styles that inspired younger generation players like Doyle. Also Tommy Emmanuel. Now they are becoming the senior players.

The key is to get that music in your head and heart first. The sites above are awesome but one of the best starters I had was Happy Traums intro to fingerpicking vol 1 on www.homespuntapes.com. It was simple and plain enough for me to pickup and he showed several styles on one tape. Now they have dozens available compared to then. They also have online videos.

I also have some painfully simple lessons on my site free. Good luck but I like videos the best. Tabs dont move me.

But everyone is different and you sometimes have to find your own way. It mainly takes self initiative.

Archived