Sore Hands

Blackwatch

• Members

I was wondering if any of you have run into a problem I'm having. I'v had to work at some pretty hard contruction type work these last two weeks to catch up on finances. My hands and lower arms are an aching mess. I usually play 2-4 hours a day and last night 3 songs was my limit. It's freaking me out cuase we've got a gig on Saturday.

Warm water and stretching seem to help. Have any of you run into this before????

• Members

Muscles and tendons are gonna need some rest time, there's no way around that. True whether you're doing needlepoint or heavy construction. I run into similar issues at times...you wouldn't think individual bottles of liquor would be that heavy, but the cumulative effect can get pretty painful.

Look for a cream called BioFreeze....I got some from a massage therapist I know. I've never tried anything that works better than this stuff, and it doesn't stink at all. It completely relaxed the sore muscles in my shoulder, allowing it to rest a bit. Also try stretching your hands prior to playing, INCLUDING the individual fingers and your wrists. Finally, give your hands a break! Try to take one day where you don't lift anything heavy, and don't play a lot on that day. Trust me, you DON'T want this problem to get worse.

• Members

Heat may make you feel better for a short time but ice will do alot better job than heat. Ice will help relieve any swelling in your tendons but heat actually makes it worse. You might alsdo want to take an anti-inflamatory like aspirin.

• Members

Being The owner of a small electrical contracting company, I still work in the field at least three days a week. There is hardly a day that goes by that my hands are not cut or nicked somehow. :(

I have performed electrical work my entire adult life and have played guitar since I was 10 years old. Sore hands have never stopped me from playing. Stitches, broken fingers, and deep cuts that needed stitches have made me miss a few weeks, but never just because my hands were sore.

So with that being said and a little intended humor, Toughen-up, YOU WIMP!!:D

Just play and ignore the pain like the rest of the working world.
A little pain won't kill you. And a little physical labor will help with your hand strength.

After cutting cables and wire for 20 years, I have a grip that can make any 90 year old women cry!:D

• Members

be careful if your hands and wrist start hurting. i know a few pro guitar and bass players that have severe carpel tunnel from playing too much. they always said no pain no gain and now they can barely play at all. you should srtretch your wrist and hand muscles before you start playing. you may want to consider talking to a doctor to get advice on preventing pemanent damage.

• Members

be careful if your hands and wrist start hurting. i know a few pro guitar and bass players that have severe carpel tunnel from playing too much. they always said no pain no gain and now they can barely play at all. you should srtretch your wrist and hand muscles before you start playing. you may want to consider talking to a doctor to get advice on preventing pemanent damage.

Thanks.... I've had carpal tunnel before and it's no fun. This is fairly uncomfortable and I'm usually someone who can play 5+ hours. What bothers me is we have a 3 1/2 hour gig Saturday and I still have a weeks worth of bodily abuse.....

• Members
Originally posted by Blackwatch

I was a gereral contractor for 25 years and hired and fired guys like you all the time. I'm anyting but a wimp, just looking for advise...

I didn't mean to ruffle your tail feathers Blackwatch.
I just get a chuckle everytime I hear some desk jockey
complain of soreness after working that grueling weekend
out in their flower garden. :) I'm sure after 25 years of contracting, you know what I mean.

I don't know of any quick fix for sore and aching muscles.
I do know how to PREVENT most sore and aching muscles.
Exercise and stretching go a long way in everything we do.
Playing guitar is no different.

Good luck with your gig.

• Members

I didn't mean to ruffle your tail feathers Blackwatch.

Sorry for the attitude brother, it's just that I've worked really hard all my life and I pay dearly for it right now. But this thing with my hands is different and it freaks me out because like you nothing really ever stops me from playing.

Thanks for writing back...

http://strangerbytheminute.com/music/music.cgi

Archived