Larrivee L05-M vs. Martin 000-15

SurrealMcCoy

• Members

I own a L-05M and have played both the D-15 and the 000-15. The fit and finish are VERY different, and the Larrivee comes up as a big winner there. Tone wise the 15s I played were a little too dark. The Larrivee was much clearer and much better not deffinition while retaining the warmth.

Mike

• Members

Originally posted by 56Tweed

I own a L-05M and have played both the D-15 and the 000-15. The fit and finish are VERY different, and the Larrivee comes up as a big winner there. Tone wise the 15s I played were a little too dark. The Larrivee was much clearer and much better not deffinition while retaining the warmth.

Mike

Thanks Mike......:)

Now I'm more anxious than ever to try the Larrivee! :D

• Members

The 15-Series Martins have a very distinct midrange tone. Pretty much all acoustics made almost entirely of mahogany have that type of tone.

I really like the L-Body Larrivees. Great for fingerpicking and flat picking. A jack of all trades. A clear tone, but with enough presence and richness.

That takes nothing away from the good 'ol brownie Martins. Great guitars. And you won't find an L-05 with a HSC for $650. At least not that I've found.

Pretty different beasts.

• Members

They're kind of different price ranges.

the new OOO-15's are made of sapele I think. It's nice and mellow but punchy. it seemed really light and the fretboard seemed dry.

The L-05m costs more, but its all gloss and it seems more like a real guitar. I'd say it looks better. It has a better attack and it can ring but still has a loud bass, it seemed more articulate.

going by just the noise its a hard call for me. Most people would take the L-05m, but it costs more. You could also check out a OOO-17 or a OM-05m.

• Members

Yeah I love them both but they are different animals. I think the Larrivee L05M is much MORE guitar for the money even though it costs more. I think it's almost impossible to get more guitar for the money than what you get in a L05M if you get the L05M with the expensive pickup system it even makes a better deal to some. The maple binding and other trim on the L05 brings it into the league of a 2500.00 guitar for about half price.

The Martin is a very sweet little guitar but have no doubt it doesnt sound as big or clear and does not have that big slab of a jet runway neck that the L does. L05 also has beefy frets, abalone, ebony head overlay, sterling silver trim and mother pearl inlay. No comparison. IMHO

Just listen to the videos on my site under gear and lessons of the L05M. Much bigger sound.

• Members

I agree with LB - comparing the Martin 15 series with the Larrivee 05 series is an apples and oranges deal. The Martin 15's are very nice quitars (I'm kinda thinking about one as a slide guitar - but I might go with a Larrivee 03 as well), but they are not in the same league in terms of price, build, and quality as the Larrivee 05's.

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

Archived