compensated saddle

legiticus

• Members

Well, it's not just the B string that gets compensated. The whole saddle is slanted with respect to the frets, adjusting the effective scale length to compensate for the stretching that occurs when the string is fretted. Looking at my Martin compensated saddles, I see that each strings breaks over the saddle at different points. The B string requires a little bit more compentation. I found this site about Petros guitars that explains it (and a few other things) pretty well.

http://www.petrosguitars.com/features.html

• Members

The b string needs it "special" compensation because it is only 2 steps(4frets) above the string below it and not 2 1/2 steps(5 frets) like the other strings. This makes perfect sense in my head but I'm not smart enough to explain it any better. Hope this makes sense to you.

• Members

Totally agree people 'bout "B" string issues. Just finished posting on this forum to a person with intonation probs. on his guild. The science behind compensated saddles escapes me also; but I will say this : "It's not a bad reason" - [could'nt hurt] to, not only setting your mind at ease vis-a-vis intonation; but substituting a better saddle material-[ivory,bone etc.] than the 'plastics' that are becoming prevelant on even 'high end' inst.s nowadays.
Agreed? , Greystoke

Archived