Gibson Bottom/Boom

underdogelvis

• Members

I love the way my Gibson WM45 "booms"... Although I'm getting used to medium gauge strings (d'addarios), I'm thinking lighter gauge would give me a bit more of an advantage for playability.

Will I lose the "boom" if I go to light gauge? I could just try it I suppose, but I was hoping to hear some thoughts on this. Losing the boom would be a difficult thing to sacrifice.

Thanks

• Members

Most of the time big strings = big sound. If you keep playing I think you will get used to the mediums. I used to play with 10's on everything but now I have 13's on all of my guitars, my tone is better and I think I play just as good. SRV played with strings so big I called them ROPES and look at what he could do. You may try some Ernie Ball silk and steel mediums to get rid of a little tension and probably not lose as much sound as going to lights. I use d'addario ej17 strings now but I used the silk and steels until I got used to the bigger strings.

• Members

I think "boom" is really an issue of balance. If the trebel strings get louder the "boom" perception goes away because you have a guitar that is just "loud" and not "boomy". When that happens you just have to play softer. So an answer you might want to consider is light guage strings on the bottom 3 and medium guage on the top 3...try that one out...

Archived