humidity

auditorium

• Members

hey- it's getting cold again, and so the heat's going on at my place. i got a humidifier (one that fits in the soundhole, it's got a long perforated hose at the end) with my gibby last april, and i haven't used it yet, and i'm not sure i perfectly understand how to. last thing i want is water inside my baby, y'know?

so i believe i take the humidifier, dip it in water, let all the water drip off, and then insert it into my soundhole in my case and let it work its magic? thanks in advance, because this is the coolest board ever. (and yea, i know about how to do different systems of humidifiying my guitar, i'm just asking about this particular choice :cool:).

• Members

Let me pose another option:
I just went today (in the snow storm) to WallMart and bought 3 G.E. humidifiers for $14. each. They each hold a gallon and a half.
I hang my wood on the wall because I think they are pretty and it makes me play them more, but the median humidity was down to 38% as I walked in the house (which freaked me out being so low) and after 1/2 hour was back up to 45% WHEW!
You won't need the soundhole deal if your home is properly humidified.
Folks, this is no joke - I lost a J-45 from a 24% humidity level last year.
1) Get a humidity/clock for the house
2) Get a cheap humidifier
3) Get a smile 'cause you won't lose an ax for a stupid reason
4) Give winter the finger!

Just my 2 cents.................

• Members

Originally posted by acoustiholic

How much would a hygrometer cost?

• Members

Originally posted by acoustiholic

okay, but like i said, i was asking about my particular humidity options on hand...mostly because i'm snowed in behind a foot or so of snow and can't go out and get things, and i have to heat the house and still want to protect my baby.

so what exactly should i do with the option i have on hand?

• Members

To fix your immediate problem get a big pot of water and boil it on the stove. Keep adding water and let it go a few hours. That should humidify the house as well as keep it warm! Yep, it will cost slightly more on your heating bill, but you're saving the guitar.

Humidifiers came with each of the G.E. units. I would venture a cost of under $5. for an accurate one.

My J-45 cracked at the bridge and developed a crack in top upper bout (closest to your face). It was our first winter in the house and the humidity was low for about a week before I realized there might be a problem. I have it repaired and sold it. It was 3 years old.

• Members

FYI, I have a vornado Humidifier in my bedroom(where guitar is) with the humidity level set on 43%. However, just an hour ago, i brought back a Bionaire Hygrometer(measures humidity)($15), and low and behold, it says the room is at 32% humidity. So becareful with the control on the humidifier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Kinda touchy subject I know; The easy answer - would be manf.s that season their wood properly are desireable. Laminated construction for you people that have to take your inst.s on 'E.V.A. s' OR a combo wine/guitar vault for you anal retentives.
Where I live, wood heat-during winter is a alternative money saving option and the drawbacks are low humidity levels on a par with salt mines and the other extremes when putting water containers on the woodstove that approach 'Bayou' swamps. I've found that cheap cigar humidors come with units that you can soak and 'wring' out to a non-wet feeling status will be a acceptible substitution to the overpriced guitar units.
Depending on your use of a particular inst. , let's say one, an occasional shower with one left in case with top open once a month in same room should'nt harm it if kept to a logical limit in your DRY climates. For you humid boys - those silica bags that seem to come with everything nowadays are handy;AND you can 'recharge' them by 'oven treating'.
Greystoke

Archived