Ovation Owners, help

Crackity Jones

• Members

I just bought my first ovation, I really like the neck vs. other acoustics because I have smaller hands. I played it on a stool in the store and it was great. However, I am finding if am not sitting up straight (ie relaxing on the couch) it is very hard to play. Also, using a strap with it feels awkward as it seems to tilt inward, making bar chords a bit more of a chore. Perhaps it is just a matter of getting used it it, but right now I am a bit frustrated.

Also, the action is pretty high - is this something I can adjust, or am I better off getting a professional to set it up.

I really like the guitar, but it's not really comfortable to play right now.

I hope I have not made another bad decision.

• Members

If I remember, Ovation puts a couple of shims under their saddle (thin pieces of plastic). If you want to lower the action, remove the strings, pull the saddle up, and remove a shim (or two). You may also need to adjust the truss rod to change the bow in the neck. When I bought my first Celebrity I needed to tighten it a bit to intonate it (and lower the action a bit on the upper frets).

I think www.frets.com might be helpful.

As far as the rest goes, you'll get used to it in time (I did). I think those Celebritys can be a good playing, nice sounding (plugged in) guitar.

• Members

As long as you're happy... I've played some of the newer Ovation's in guitar shops and have been very unimpressed. But I own a 1982 Acoustic/Electric Legend that I wouldn't trade for the world - great tone either unplugged or plugged in. I guess I've been playing it so long I'm used to the bowl, the guitar feels very comfortable in my hands. But I might take an Alvarez over a Celebrity. If you really want an Ovation go to Ebay and find an older US made model, the difference is huge.

• Members

It was not the sound, or the action as much as the design. I love to sit on the couch and play while watching TV, and the ovation kept slipping unless I sat right on the edge. I loved the neck and how it felt, but I just could not deal with the way it sat in my lap. It also felt weird with a strap.

Also, i don't have an amp right now, so it was kind of useless since it's made to be plugged in as well.

I have nothing against them now, it just wasn't for me I guess. I did really like the built in tuner - that was a really nice idea, and the cutaway also was nice. The case, while more on the expensive side, was also nice.

I saved a bit of money with the alvarez too.

• Members

I have an Ovation legend Ltd 1979 model, and it's american made deep bowl and no cutaway. It sounds very balanced and loud acoustically. It's built in electronics are acceptable. Ovations have good neck action. The newer ones sound very tiny, and I'd say stay away from the low end celebrity or applause models.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Yowsa-Yowsa...Bad enough they had to construct them with 'bowel' backs; they had to treat them with "Armorall" also!? If what the previous poster said is true-'bout shims, then I'd try that. Any saddle corrections and/or truss rod adjst.s - I'd leave to a 'tech-luthier' otherwise. Acoustics unlike elect. solid bodys for instance; are unforgiving when self-administered adjstmts. go wrong.

Greystoke

• Members

I sold mine years ago, but when I had it I put a very thin piece of rubber(about 4"x3") and glued it to the back of the guitar. I put it right at the bend at the bottom so if it was resting on my knee it wouldn't slip forward and if I was on the couch laying down it didn't slide. It worked great.

Hope that helps.

Archived