Advice...Strings

JBC

• Members

Absolute beginner...Bought an electro acoustic guitar with D'Aquisto phospher bronze strings fitted...Difficult, but enjoying learning. (Apart from sore fingers) I wonder if I could change the strings to get a softer or more mellow tone. Would different strings produce a different tone. Could anyone please suggest what strings I might try....Hope this makes sense....Many Thanks.

• Members

if you want a more mellow tone that is also quieter, as well as strings that are easier on your fingers, then you may want to try some "silk and steel"

strings. d'addario, ghs, and martin all make some "silk and steel"

strings...maybe you can find them at a local music store.

if not just search for them at:

http://www.juststrings.com

or maybe:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com

i'm not sure of the exact model number of the strings, but they will say 'silk and steel' somewhere in the name.

these strings take less tension on them to get them up to pitch. your guitar might need a slight truss rod adjustment when changing to these strings since they will be lighter in tension than what you have on but there's no harm in trying them.

• Members

Some shockingly warm and mellow strings are the GHS LJ-30Lights Laurence Juber signatures. I expected the opposite but they surprised me. They are warm as a camp fire and very vintage and rich sounding. They really work perfectly on my Gibson to bring it back to the warm tone the older Gibsons had. I dont like them for everything but they are exactly what you are talking about. I had to order mine at www.fqms.com but the price and service was good. 5-6 dollars a pack. They are excellent quality also. Ignore the technical description of the tone on the GHS site and the pack. It couldn't be more incorrect.

• Members

Originally posted by JBC

Many thanks for speedy replies. Forgot to mention (new to computers also) I'm in UK. Most helpful and will track down suggestions here....Thanks.

You are in the UK ? Oh darn. One word "Newtone Strings" man for crying out loud we are going nuts over those strings here in the states and you have them right there. They are even better than the GHS but with alot more guts. www.guitargal.com sells them here but there you go . Another great brand in your own back yard. The URL link is somewhere on this forum. If I had time I would search for "newtones" but check into them

Try the Newtone Phosphor Bronze Lights 12-54 sizes if I recall correctly.

Archived