Seagull S6 or Yamaha SG-200

Chris72IL

• Members

I'm wanting to pick up a used acoustic and have narrowed the field somewhat. The Yamaha looks nearly new, the seagull has a few scratches on the top of the neck near the body and is worn on the bottom of the sound hole. Both are selling for $150. After reading the reviews, it sounds like the Yamaha is a much older model, while the Seagull must be somewhat newer. Is one an obvious choice over the other. Is the price reasonable for either? Thanks in advance.

Chris

• Members

I'm assuming that you are buying in person and not over the internet. Play it and see how it sounds. Make sure that it's easy for you to play (Seagulls are usually easy to play). Make sure that you like it cosmetically. Look for gaps or cracks in the wood, and see if the bridge is beginning to separate from the body of the guitar. Look for chips or indentations in the fret board. Make sure that the neck has no gaps between it and the body.

That's all I can think of right now (getting towards my bedtime), but I'm sure that others will chip in with their opinions. BTW, if you're buying over the internet, you always take your chances. Good luck.

• Members

Thanks Papa. It is for sale locally, I have seen both and they both sound good. That was why I wasn't sure which to choose. The only cosmetic issues I could find were the scratches on the neck and the sound hole. I could easily touch them up. Everything else seemed fine, though the action seemed a bit high on both. At least compared to the electric that I have attempted to play until now. I think I'll pick it up if it's still there tomorrow at lunch. Thanks a bunch.:D

• Members

the action on most any acoustic will seem high after playing electric. you can have it lowered though with some good saddle and string nut work. but of course as with electric if you go too far you'll get buzzing, and also can encounter intonation problems (which are harder to fix on acoustic). best bet is to find someone you trust to do a good setup on whichever one you buy. tell them your style of play, etc etc so they can set it up more suitable to you. it'll be worth the $$ assuming the person does a good job..

• Members

I looked at the Seagull one more time. No cracks, just the scratches in the neck and wear around the soundhole. Just one more question, should the entire face be straight. Since the gap between the strings and the higher frets seemed large, I held the face to a straight-edge. With the edge just touching the side of the neck and the bridge, there was between an 1/8" and 1/4" gap in the middle. Is this normal, or does it sound like the neck pulling too hard against the face? The price seems right, but I don't want to buy a piece of junk.

Archived