new 12 string owner

blazepump

• Members

I am a lucky recent recipiant of a takamine ef381sc 12 string. My father in law to be surprised me with it. Anyways, so far, I am absolutely thrilled with how good it sounds and how much fun I am having with it. However, I dont know the slightest when it comes to taking care of the thing. The guys at the shop mentioned that I need a humidifier, being that I livein Georgia. also, I have heard that everytime you are done playing you should tune down, or loosen the strings? is this so, and if you dont, what will likely happen. and for the tuning, is standard tunign OK or should you go w/ down tuning? I guess I am a little timid right now being that it is a brand new instrument, I need a 12 string know it all to helpl me here!! thank you

• Members

Be good to that wife-to-be! That's a very nice present.

Advice: get a hygrometer and follow instructions to ensure it's measuring the humidity accurately in the room where you'll store the guitar. If necessary, get a humidifier to keep humidity in the 40%-55% range (take an average of what everyone here will tell you if I'm off by 5% here or there!:D ) It's particularly crucial because the 12-string has a lot of tension on neck and top.

I wouldn't "tune down" (loosen strings when done playing) unless you plan on not playing for an extended period of time (three weeks or more?). I would think it's not good for strings or neck to being tuning and untuning every other day.

Finally, standard tuning should be fine for a good quality instrument.

Enjoy!

dv

• Members
Originally posted by donavanvicha

Be good to that wife-to-be! That's a very nice present.

Advice: get a hygrometer and follow instructions to ensure it's measuring the humidity accurately in the room where you'll store the guitar. If necessary, get a humidifier to keep humidity in the 40%-55% range (take an average of what everyone here will tell you if I'm off by 5% here or there!
:D
) It's particularly crucial because the 12-string has a lot of tension on neck and top.

I wouldn't "tune down" (loosen strings when done playing) unless you plan on not playing for an extended period of time (three weeks or more?). I would think it's not good for strings or neck to being tuning and untuning every other day.

Finally, standard tuning should be fine for a good quality instrument.

Enjoy!

dv

Agreed...

• Members

Is it a solid or laminated top?With that sc suffix I'd surmise its a 12 string solid top cutaway?Probably a good idea to tune it a half step flat and use a capo when you are playing with other instruments.

Since you are living in Georgia dry winter air/forced air heat is less of a factor then say living in a more northern climate.You have a better idea than I do what the weather is like where you live,whether you crank forced air heat etc.Things like having a lot of plants or even open containers of water near the guitars can help increase the relative humidity.

Archived