Satin Finish Question (problem?)

TheEdge

• Members

Hello all, I've always skipped over the issue, now I am curious and am sure one of you would know. My Martin has a satin finish on it rather than the gloss. There is a patch, under the pickguard primarily, where it seems to be more smooth/glossly like and the grain of the wood is almost raised, in fact you can actually run your finger over it and feel the lines of grain. I can't think of what it could be aside from use. It wouldn't be a humdity issue would it because it is only limited to the one spot, and not a high stress area like behind the bridge. There is also a small spot (but can't feel the grain) where my arm would rub/hit/rest against the body up top, but I am imagining that is sweat/use related, I can't see how the other would form. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers. :)

• Members

Edge,

that is typical of a Martin satin finish. Usually most apparent where your flesh contacts the finish. Really no way to get it out. I polished out my OM-15. Here's a thread on how to do it. It will look beautiful. But, nothing wrong with wearing the shine like a badge of honor.

http://pub125.ezboard.com/ftheunofficialmartinguitarforumfrm72.showMessage?topicID=1.topic

• Members

God I hate satin finishes. They make noise when you are recording and they turn into glossy finishes anyway. In places. The neck will also become smooth. I actually like the feel of a buffed and worn in satin neck but I hate it at first. If you like your guitars to sound and feel like a powdered up pool queue that is fine but I would just play it and go for it.

I also like the way Orsino and others polished them out. Many luthiers will buff them out for you on a polishing wheel for a few dollars in about 30 minutes and look alot better than the manual method. If you decided to make it shiny. Same finish either way.

If you ever play a satin guitar at a BBQ prepare for the big greasy spots too. God I hate satin ! Diff strokes diff folks.

I own a Larrivee with satin and if I decide to keep it I will have it buffed.

• Members

I once owned a Tacoma Jumbo with a satin finish. It had an invisible pickgard and right below it about an inch long stip of the finish wore off within a couple of months! The finish wasn't smooth in that spot, it was nothing but raw wood! I only had it for about a year before I sold it but I wonder what that guitar will look like years from now?

So I swore I never would get a satin finish guitar again. But my soon to be delivered Martin D-15 is a satin finish. I loved the sound! I wouldn't mind if the finish smooths out over time, I just don't want to wear it down to the bare surface.

Archived