Spiderwebbing

guitarcapo

• Members

There's a thing called "spiderwebbing" that is prized among guitar builders as the ulitimate figure in Brazilian rosewood.

People who buy wood from me ask what it looks like and I send them pics of this one guitar back I have loaded with it to show them what it is.

spiderweb.jpg

spiderweb2.jpg

Brazilian rosewood can vary a lot in appearence but this spiderwebby stuff and the kind that copies old Martin rosewood seem to be in highest demand......

• Members

I do declair, that would be one beautiful guitar. But would it sound better? I doubt it. If money was not a factor I would go for the beautiful wood AND great tone by a good builder.

Well you're right. The back and sides don't contribute much to a guitar's tone in general. But that cuts both ways. AAAAA Brazilian wood doesn't harm a guitars sound either. It just looks better.

A 10,000 dollar Rolex doesn't keep time any better than a 100 dollar Citizen quartz watch. For some reason though it's not all about practical function with some things.

Using highly figured wood is acceptable to be for the back and sides because it's a sympathetic resonator to the soundboard but I do agree that these guitars with super flamy koa tops might be losing some sound for beauty's sake.

• Members

Beautiful wood by the way. I'm surprised to hear you say that the back and sides don't contribute much to a guitar's tone in general. Not that you're wrong, I just never hearded that before. I'm slowly learning that the top wood of the acoustic is what matters most. I think you're right about the Koa tops. I had a 12 string with an all Claro Walnut top. Although she was beautiful and she had a bright sound, but there was very little bass, and also little volume. Overall sound was thin. I have learned that some of these new exotic woods guitar makers are using are sacrificing tone for beauty.

Archived