WHats all this talk about humidity?

hockey_musician

• Members

Solid top some concern, but not as much as all-solid guitars. Too little humidity can cause shrinkage and cracks in severe cases. I read a lot where you shoulkd try to keep the humidity level at 40% - 55% or so. Not always easy in a cold climate where the furnace or stove is cranking constantly. I use 2 house humidiers & a Planet Waves soundhole humidifier as well. I also monitor the relative humidity with a hygrometer. My guityars is all soilid, and I think I would die if I opened the case & found a crack!

'Mo

• Members

hockey_musician, I like that,"I don't play the guitar, I make it sing". That is good. When I set down to play Marcie I usually say come on girl lets sing a while, and we do.

You should try to keep the humidity at 40 to 55%. That is the range everyone gives. I think if it were to high or to low for a long time it will cause some trouble.

The trouble it can cause is damage to the top mostly. If humidity is high the top will swell up. If humidity is low the top will sink. Get your guitar room to about 50% hum for a week and then look at the top from the side. It should have a very slight bulge at the bridge area. Most flattops are just that, flattops. after they are strung the top will flex up a little. Some are braced with a slight dome or arch to the top, but not many of them are. Now try to remember how your top looks at 50% and check it from time to time. You will have a gauge to go by to see if anything is going bad. Keep an eye on your hygrometer and keep it at 50%. Now go sing with the little lady.

• Members

Although my location says I live in Montana, I'm not there yet. My wife and I are moving there next year. That is a very dry climate. We already have a room set aside for my guitars. But right now I live in upstate NY. The summers here are very humid. All summer and even during parts of the fall and now into the winter the humidity can run high. This part of the country has many lakes. I live at the north end of a 16 mile long one. 20 some miles north of me is Lake Ontario. So my problem has been high humidity. So far my guitars are doing fine, but any help in how to combat high humidity?

• Members

Allright everyone....

so whats a song to learn. Pretty dumb question to post eh? but im serious. Ive been playing for a little while now and i know a few "rinky-dink" songs, and some intros, but i want to learn a good acoustic guitar song. Like what can you guys suggest? Maybe a few chords, and some finger-picking involed, but nothing too difficult. As for genre, something along the lines of eagles, or maybe clapton. Any suggestions are apprecitated.!

And a link to the lesson would help, but is not neccisary!

Archived