Fender Telecoustic? Fill me in.

built to refill

• Members

I tried one out at the shop the other night and really enjoyed the way it played, and its unplugged sound.

Any proud owners lurkers around here? How do you like its electric sound, and how would you describe it?

Any haters? For $200-something I can see how some of you with acoustic-electrics in $1,000 + range would see it as a toy or something. What's wrong with it?

Thanks guys.

- Bobby.

• Members

Well, it's made to be plugged-in.

That's my main gripe with the Stratocoustic and Telecoustic.

They don't get bad sounds plugged in, but acoustically, my ears find them VERY lacking.

The first thing I look for when buying an acoustic is its ACOUSTIC properties. If I wanna play out, only then do I think of putting in a pickup.

• Members

Quite honestly, I think they're nothing more than a gimmick. A cool looking gimmick, but a gimmick nonetheless.

I've played them unplugged and quite honestly (and objectively, too) was completely turned off. They're not intended as a serious instrument and certainly aren't high-quality tone gigging instruments. Plugged in they sound decent, but in comparison with a high-end acoustic (I'm thinking Taylors, Martins, Larrivees, Tak's, etc.) it's like comparing apples and pears: slightly similar characteristics, but entirely different pieces of fruit when it comes right down to it.

Quite honestly the old saying that you "get what you pay for" holds quite true with these things. They DO look kind of cool and unique (at least the Telecoustic does - can't stand the look of a Stratacoustic), but for $300 or less, you'd better not get your hopes up too high. Take a true Fender acoustic in the same price range and I promise you that you'll get far better tone from it.

All that to say that it'd be a cool guitar to hang on a wall or to take to the ski lodge or something like that with big temperature extremes, but don't expect people to come up saying "dude, your tone was UNBELIEVABLE"... :D

• Members

Originally posted by built to refill

general question: what does the 'brilliance' slider/knob control on acoustic-electrics? what is it boosting/cutting?

"Brillance Control

This is a resonant style boost/cut filter. When boosted, the BRILLIANCE control can add presence to your sound or brighten up dead strings."

http://www.blindfaithent.com/fishman.html

(Click on Prefix Plus Users Guide and scroll down.)

Plain speak? It can make your highs ring and just give you more treble presence to cut through.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived