Koa

wadsworth

• Members

What specific sound does the koa wood have on a guitar as opposed to the traditional mahogany or rosewood...or better yet...what type of sound/tone is associated with which woods? I've been wondering this for a while...another question- if anyone can answer it- what is the main difference (in size, tone, anything) between a Larrivee parlor sized guitar and the 03 models? Thanks.

• Members

Koa is kind of tricky to describe other than it is usually very attractive looking wood. Most people would agree that koa is more variable in sound than other woods, so it is really a good idea to play it first or get a trial period if you're buying mail order.
I have two Martin koa drednaughts, one with a spruce top and the other has koa. They have very distinct sounds as well due to the soundboard differences.
The koa top is not nearly as responsive but has great sustain. I'd generally put koa more towards the mahogany side of sound rather than rosewood, but there are differences amongst similar looking koa guitars.
As far as Larrivee, I'd go their website for specifics. The -03 is pretty plain appointment-wise and the parlors can be fancier.

Grant

• Members

Originally posted by wadsworth

What specific sound does the koa wood have on a guitar as opposed to the traditional mahogany or rosewood...or better yet...what type of sound/tone is associated with which woods? I've been wondering this for a while...another question- if anyone can answer it- what is the main difference (in size, tone, anything) between a Larrivee parlor sized guitar and the 03 models? Thanks.

Parlor guitars are small bodied guitars with a short neck. Larrivee makes one of the nicest parlors around, but the 03 are full sized instruments in OM (Orchestra size), L (Larrivee size), or D (Dreadnaught) size. Parlors are easy to transport, but lack the deeper bass of a larger instrument. The link below is the Larrivee body style chart. The 03 series are truly bargains. Larrivee kept the cost down by keeping it plain and using a satin finish. They can sound as good as their more expensive, fancier guitars.

http://www.fredsmusic.com/.larrivee/larrivee_bodies.html

Archived