DADGAD

wadsworth

• Members

There is plenty of tab out there - a lot of it Celtic or Celtic-like. You might look for arrangements by Martin Simpson, RIchard Thompson, Pierre Bensusan, and Al Petteway for starters. Both Homespun tapes and Stephen Grossman's Guitar Workshop have materials you might be interested in.

DADGAD is also great for noodling. You might try playing "dulcimer style" - playing a melody up and down one string while droning the others (the 3rd string is good for this).

THe possibilities are endless once you find your way around the fingerboard.

Ken

• Members

It's great finding the possibilities and new sounds that such tunings bring. I'm working with CGDGAD just now and enjoying it immensely.

Netsailor posted a link to two zip files of music in various formats that he has on his own site on the Celtic Guitar Talk forum. There are tunes in many tunings, incl. DADGAD and a lot of them are Tabledit files which are really good for using as a learning tools. Basically you download the free file viewer and you can see the fingerboard with fingering, tab, notation and also listen to the tune as its playing in midi format.

Follow the link:

Netsailor's Post

Cams

• Members

Laurence Juber has a video (from Homespun) called "Exploring DADGAD Guitar" that I would highly recommend. In addition to some exercises, LJ goes over several of his DADGAD tunes from his excellent "Altered Realities" disc...tab is included.

LJ also has a new book of his songs coming out soon, and it should include some of his arrangements from "LJ Plays the Beatles" (he used DADGAD for many of the tunes on that disc). The good thing about LJ's music/tab books is that he does all the transcribing himself...so you know that it is all 100% accurate.

• Members

Originally posted by Spaceman3

i never used DADGAD too much, but with DADF#AD you can play tons of Rolling Stones songs. probably my favorite in that tuning is No Expectations.

Yes, that's what i was fooling with yesterday...pretty neat stuff.

Archived