Bought a Seagull

surfcat

• Members

After taking back the Ovation that I bought-bad action, hump in neck, I was trying to figure out what to get with a good preamp without spending a fortune. I wanted a Martin Dc-16 with the dual source pickups-mic and ust. Then I found the Seagull S6+cw gt with a dual source pickup system-mic with boom and ust. Less than half the price of the Martin. Sure, it's not quite a Martin, but it's a great guitar for $600. Is there anything I should know about installing a strap button? Is it a bolted on neck or glued in? Where's the best place on these-back of heel, bottom of heel, underside of heel? The neck joint is kind of unique on Seagulls. My Gibson has it one the underside of the heel.

• Members

I got a somewhat beat Seagull S6-Plus a few years back (cedar top, cherry neck/back/sides) for $l60. A little dark sounding, but nice acoustic nonetheless.

Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Art & Lutherie and Norman all come out of the same Canadian factory, I believe, and are pretty underpriced guitars for the quality of workmanship and Canadian hardwood they have.

• Members

I think seagulls are great guitars, my dad has one that he loves. For some reason though, I've never wanted to own one, they feel really delicate in my hands...I've had a better time with my Cort. Noevertheless, good solid instruments those seagulls.'

congrats on the good deal!

• Members

Thanks for the kind words everybody. Unfortunately, I had to return my Seagull. It had a loose internal brace that vibrated on the low E string and a little on the A string. The repair guy said it was probably low humidity, but the store had a humidifier under all the acoustics and I bought a case humidifier with the guitar so it couldn't have been TOO dry I wouldn't think. He said other high end guitars were having the same problem due to dryness-the Taylors in particular. How common is this? He said if I really humidified it the braces might swell and fix it but my 7 day return policy was winding down. It was a really sweet guitar and I already miss it.:( I'm trying to decide if I should find another one or just buy an LR Baggs dual source pu or a B-band ust for my Gibson. I was trying to avoid chancing messing it up and still ending up with an inferior amplified system to one already installed in a cheaper guitar.

• Members

One question I had regarding the internal flexible mic-it fed back a bit in the store through an acoustic amp. I didn't think that much of it, but I tried it through my electric amp at home (no acoustic amp) and it fed back like crazy. I never got to try it through a PA. I wonder if this would be a problem. It had a blend control so if you turned it all the way to the ust pickup it would stop, but the sound wasn't as natural of course. Some Martins have a similar Fishman system with a flexible mic. Is feedback a problem? Would it be less with an LR Baggs dual source (fixed) type mic?

Archived