Wood Picks

confuseitall

• Members

i have some made by ike gilbert. he's been making wooden picks for quite sometime out of different woods. most of the woods are exotic wood and they do sound different for sure. the wood does effect tone, but just in general the wooden picks i've used have a warm woody type sound (yah, imagine that a wooden pick sounding like wood lol). there is no pick material that i can even compare it to though..i haven't played with them in a while but still have them. i might actually pull them out again and mess with them, heh. i have a huge pick collection and go back through experimenting occasionally with what i have.

here's where i got mine (ike gilbert's site):

http://www.woodenpicks.com/

btw, ike is a pleasure to deal with. and i bet he'd be fun for you to talk about making picks with even. he doesn't seem the type that would snob you b/c you want to make your own instead of buying his. although i suggest you buy one of his and you can see how someone with experience does it :)

i even got him to send me a couple of proto-type picks with things to make a better grip on them. (holes, and filament embossed in the pick. pretty neat stuff). i don't think he has thos listed for sale, but he would make some probably.

• Members

Originally posted by 4sidedoctagon

That sounds like a great idea. has anyone ever used jellifish? or some weird pick i saw in a GW acoustic one time. the link is

They're 10$ a pick, and i dont really know if its worth it

i tried it. it's interesting...it wasn't for me really. your mileage may vary.

i have a pretty big pick collection so i've tried a lot of diff ones.

the jellifish was definitely one of the weirdest ones.

• Members

Those wood picks sound like a really cool idea.

I think the jellifish pick is horrible. Cuts the crap out of your guitars finish if youre not careful. It does not give a chorus effect, or sound like strings. Piece of crap. Maybe if it had softer bristles it would be better. WHo knows. My .02

• Members

Originally posted by newsdude477

aren't they prone to breaking? since they're not too flexible?

do you mean woodenpicks or jellifish picks?

i was thinking you meant wood picks.

in that case, i don't think they're prone to breaking. they will wear some, but it seems to me it would be really hard to break. i've never broken one while playing with it.

you'd just have to try one and see. i don't play really hard personally. but it seems to me they'd be hard to break even with a harder playing style than mine.

Archived