Tried "Nashville" tuning

slide_blues

• Members

I had a leftover 12 string set after I sold a 12 string guitar, so I tried "nashville" tuning on my regular acoustic by stringing it up with the higher octave e, a, d, and g strings. I was flirting with the idea of getting another 6 string to dedicate to this tuning, so I thought I'd test it out.

What's interesting is that some chord inversions sound cool, while others just sound weird (in a bad way). First position chords sound good for the most part, but it can get pretty strange sounding as you climb up the neck using open strings. Fingerpicking was most interesting, as there are so many doubled notes that you can frail away on.

Trying to sound "bluesy" was somewhat difficult, partly because of the high notes, partly because some inversions, like the typical movable 9th chord, don't sound so hot with all the "closeness" of certain notes.

"Classical" (for lack of a better word) sounding stuff worked the best, especially minor keys, a real magical sound. I can see why most players use this tuning to overdub on to regular acoustics for a 12 string sound. The only recording that comes to mind that's strictly nashville tuning is Adrian Legg's "high strung suite."

I think I'll pass on buying a guitar just to keep in this tuning, but it was a fun experiment. Anyone have a guitar strung up like this?

• Members

By chance, I stopped in for a seminar at a now defunct guitar shop in Raleigh, Circa 1980. The store was hosting a Nashville studio session player. He was about 50 years od at the time. I do not recall his name. He had a nice floor show in which he discussed Nashville tuning. I had not heard of it before. Here is approximately what he said about Nashville tuning:

1. (he said) every recording in Nashville doubles the rhythm guitar with Nashville tuning (remember, this was 1980).
2. (he said) doubling with Nashville tuning gives the track a nice "chickie-chickie" sound.
3. (he said) some fellers just use it as a poor-boy's 12.

I tried a few times over the years when I wanted new sound on one of my own tunes with similar observations to your own - some tunes sound cool, others are lame.

• Members

Nashville tuning is used for recording, although I bet when you see some famous country singer and they have about three or four acoustic guitars playing rhythm, I bet one is using nashville tuning.

I keep an old beater guitar that I use nashville tuning for recording at home. I does add a nice high end flavor if you blend it slightly into the mix.

DW

Archived