Martin OM 21 VS OM 28VR

Eppito

• Members

Hi. I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I was going to write a bit about the sole acoustic guitar I own, but after giving it some thought, I decided to get the group's opinion about two Martins I have interest in. I'll be making fifty in 2004 (man, I still can't believe that) and I want a new fine guitar to, err, grow older with.

At present, my GAS is predicated around either the Martin OM 21 or the OM 28VR. Both guitars have similarities and distinct differences in woods, scale, and cosmetics. Between the two the OM 28VR appears the better instrument, though that's speculation on my part, as I have played neither. With that said, which do you think sounds better?

In my next post I'll discuss the guitar that has been my partner for the last 25 years. She's good, but she definitely needs a sister.:eek:

The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled ~ Plutarch

• Members

Hi Eppito,

I think I can help you a bit with this question.

The 2 big differences with OM-28V and the OM-21 are neck shape and price................and if price isn't a big deal, then you're down to the crux of the issue.

They look quite a bit different due to the trim and the ebony board and bridge on the 28V vs the rosewood board and bridge on the 21. I prefer the rosewood fingerboard and bridge myself.

The basic specs are the same: 1 & 3/4" nut, long scale. The string spacing at the saddle varies by a 1/16" more for the 28V (2 & 5/16")

They both have 1/4" scalloped bracing. The grades of wood are a little different, but that won't have any big impact on the sound.

If looks make a difference to you, then let your eyes guide you.

The neck shape is going to make you carefully consider which to get, all other things being equal. I don't really care either way. I own several very old instruments that have huge V shaped necks, and I also own one of the first 2 OM-18Vs made back in 1997. They were the prototype made to take to the NAMM show.

It has the big V neck and besides that the string spacing at the saddle is 2 & 7/16", which is really wide, but I have big hands so it's not a problem. On the other hand, so to speak, I've played many OM-21s and the low profile neck still is cut with a goodly amount of meat on the back and I'm quite comfortable when I play them.

You should, as has been suggested I'm sure, get one of each into your hands and see if there is a problem with the neck shape. After that it should be an easy decision.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Howard Emerson

• Members

Thanks all! I'll be going to Guitar Center here in New Orleans on Saturday, unfortunately, only to look and compare. I'm a ways from having all the cash I need to get one of these acoustic gems. Price is a consideration. Still, I want the best I can get, especially considering the acoustic I have now - and I'll save that rant for another post. Overall, I'm particularly interested in a new Martin, though I wouldn't rule out others, depending on quality.

• Members

Eppito,

I think the Martin OM guitars can be really nice instruments. I have an OMC-18VLJ which I am really happy with.

However, be sure to also compare the Martin OM's with Collings and Santa Cruz OM's. They may be a little more expensive, but I think their instruments are a little more consistent in terms of the quality than Martin.

• Members

I have the OM 28V and I like it very much. I don't think the "R" is used any more since it is reduntant, the "28" means it is rosewood so you don't need the "R". Check as many places as you can because the price can vary. But you should be able to get the 28V for around $2200, maybe less. This will include the case. Be careful with GC because they will jack you around on the case and they are usually high.

Archived