Setup question....

surfcat

• Members

When getting a settup on an acoustic with a new saddle and nut, does fretwear come into consideration? Mines got 9 years of play on them and I assume they're worn a bit, but not too bad. If I get it set up fairly low-Talor like, when I eventually get new frets, will the setup be too low? Should I get it set a bit higher as if the frets were new?

• Members

Originally posted by surfcat

When getting a settup on an acoustic with a new saddle and nut, does fretwear come into consideration? Mines got 9 years of play on them and I assume they're worn a bit, but not too bad. If I get it set up fairly low-Talor like, when I eventually get new frets, will the setup be too low? Should I get it set a bit higher as if the frets were new?

yes, fretwear comes into consideration. one thing effects another.

the person that does the setup should also take care of getting the frets level though. when you get a re-fret the nut and saddle will have to be looked at again at that time.

just make sure you take it to someone that really knows their stuff.

• Members

I would take it to a pro and get their opinion. I have a 40 year old Gretsch that still has very good original frets on it, and I gigged with it for 4 years straight. Depends on your playing style and what kind of strings you use, plus how good the fretwire was. A good tech is well worth what they charge.

Archived